• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uk sightings Saturday 17th May 2003 (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
thanks to www.fpoimt.co.uk and BIRDCALL

BERKSHIRE:- Moatlands GPs Nightingale singing nr old wader pit + 2 Garden Wblr, Common Sand, 700+Swift, 300+Swift.

CAMBRIDGESHIRE:- Hampton North Lake 2yr Little Gull am.

CAMBRIDGESHIRE:- Paxton Pits Turtle Dove + Lsr Whitethroat, Cuckoo.

CHESHIRE:- Inner Marsh Farm drk Garganey + L.Egret, Peregrine, 900 Blk-t Godwit, 60 Dunlin, 9 R.Plover.

CLWYD:- Conwy RSPB Curlew Sandpiper + LRP, Sanderling, 4 R.Plover, 3 Blk-t Godwit.

Co.WEXFORD:- Saltee Islands Ortolan Bunting am + Nightjar.

CORNWALL:- Marazion Marsh drk Garganey + 2 Whimbrel. 20 Sanderling Marazion beach.

CORNWALL:- Penzance 2 Great Northern Diver off Jubilee swimming pool. 5 A.Skua past Porthgwarra early am.

DEVON:- Bowling Green Marsh Glossy Ibis am + 2 Spoonbill.

DORSET:- Portland Bill 5 Arctic Skua past.

EAST YORKSHIRE:- Southfield Resr Hobby + Garganey.

HIGHLAND:- Mallaig 2 1s Glaucous Gull in hbr.

ISLES OF SCILLY:- St Mary's Savi's Warbler at Porthellick Pool.

ISLES OF SCILLY:- St.Agnes Stone Curlew am at Chapel Fields.

KENT:- Dungeness RSPB ad male Little Bittern am on Hookers Pit.

LEICESTERSHIRE:- Eyebrook Resr 11 Ringed Plover but no sign Temminck's Stint.

LINCOLNSHIRE:- Gibraltar Point NNR fem type Golden Oriole calling in E.dunes but v.elusive.

LOTHIAN:- Portobello 3 Manx Shearwater E.past am + RTDiver, many auks.

NORFOLK:- Blakeney Point PROB 1s Pallid Harrier 12.24pm flew W.twds Warham Greens.

Tawny Pipit 10.40am by lifeboat stn + Redstart, Hobby.

NORFOLK:- just W.of Holkham Golden Oriole 6.20am by A149 in poplars E.of sharp bend with bungalow. Pk in layby just W.of poplar belt.

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE:- Gringley Carr 8 Dotterel 7.15am in fld W.of Carr Ln.

OXFORDSHIRE:- Farmoor Resr 5 Black Tern

SHETLAND:- Fair Isle male Bluethroat

Thick-billed Warbler ringed + released + showing well 8.50am at least in obs gdn.

STAFFORDSHIRE:- Belvide Resr 5 Sanderling + 3 Dunlin, 8 R.Plover, 3 C.Tern.

SUFFOLK:- 1ml W.of Ixworth village 2s male Montagu's Harrier 9.50am best viewed off minor rd to Roston off A1088 at Heath Fm entrance.

SURREY:- Staines Resr 2 1s Little Gull am on N.Basin.

Hi Saz,

Welcome to Bird Forum. :t:

You've posted this in the "wrong" place, but not to worry - you'll get the hang of this soon.

To answer your question, I don't think Jays are particularly uncommon, but they are quite choosy about where they live, and are also quite secretive.

They are one of my favourite British Birds, and whilst quite a few people will have seen them, they certainly aren't the kind of bird you see "every day".

Put it this way, if you've got one visiting your garden, and you see it every day, you'll be making a lot of people quite jealous!!!

Hope that answers your question, but while I'm here, may I ask that you take some time out to have a look round the site.

You'll see plenty of stuff of interest to you, I hope - you can start by using the categories on the title banner at the top of this page - and you should also find we're a friendly bunch, all with differing abilities in birding. I am by no means an expert, but you'll find some people here who are!

You'll also notice we have a wide membership from all around the world, and there's usually something going on that you can join in with.

I hope you'll stay with us, and if you do, why not post a little bit about yourself in the "Say Hello" Forum. You can start a new thread by pressing one of the red "new thread" buttons when you are in the Forum.

Don't worry too much about right and wrong though - you'll soon be posting with the best of 'em!!!

Hope to hear from you soon...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back