• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN - Still OK? (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hello all,

I just picked up a pair of pristine 8x32 BNs (3 years old) and they should arrive in ~ 1 week. I had been looking for a smaller pair of bins to compliment my Swaro 8.5x42 EL and 10x42 SLC.

Without the bins in hand, I have to admit I have a bit of buyer's remorse, as I am not sure that the somewhat older Trinovid design will match up to the latest bin technology.

Can any BN owners alay my fears regarding the overall quality and usability of this binoculars? I know, I know. Just wait a few days and see for yourself, right?

Any insight would be much appreaciated, especially over the next few days!

Thanks,

Steffan

Marley said:
Hello all,

I just picked up a pair of pristine 8x32 BNs (3 years old) and they should arrive in ~ 1 week. I had been looking for a smaller pair of bins to compliment my Swaro 8.5x42 EL and 10x42 SLC.

Without the bins in hand, I have to admit I have a bit of buyer's remorse, as I am not sure that the somewhat older Trinovid design will match up to the latest bin technology.

Can any BN owners alay my fears regarding the overall quality and usability of this binoculars? I know, I know. Just wait a few days and see for yourself, right?

Any insight would be much appreaciated, especially over the next few days!

Thanks,

Steffan

Steffan,

those Trinovids are still one of the best 8x32 available. They have the same optics like the Ultravids. Only the coatings were improved with the new line. There are marginal differences in contrast and brightness but you´ll only notice this in a side by side comparison. I like the way the 8x32 Trinovid fits my hands. Only the 8x32 Swaro EL can keep up in this respect with the Trinovid.

Steve

Marley,

There's no flies on the Leica BN's and I think you'll be happy with them.

Steve,

Don't overlook the 8x32 Nikon Venturer/LX's or LXL's. Some say they're the best 8x32 on the market, and they can be had for less than $700.00 brand spanking new.

Heh!

I still use my BAs and to this day, find myself smiling at how good they are - so I'd expect at least as much satisfaction from the BNs.

I use 10X42BNs and would not change them. Clear bright picture, easy focusing and they feel just right in the hands. The only drawback is that they are quite heavy and I too have been considering the 8X32BNs as a 2nd pair. I don't think you will regret buying your BNs. Dave

If I could find a reason to upgrade my 8x32 BNs, I would. But I can't.

And believe me I've looked at most of the alternatives.

But no matter how many times I look at the newer Swaros and Ultravids, the BN's still stand out as being among the very best all-round birding bins I've tried. Plus, thanks to the arrival of the Ultravids, the price of BNs now makes them the best value around.

If usability and optical quality for birding are your key criteria, then you've got nothing to worry about.

Enjoy.

Buster said:
Steve,

Don't overlook the 8x32 Nikon Venturer/LX's or LXL's. Some say they're the best 8x32 on the market, and they can be had for less than $700.00 brand spanking new.

Buster,

I know the 8x32 (and the 10x32 too) Nikon quite well but I have to say that they weren´t built for my hands and purposes. Even though they are among the heaviest (ca. 700 g which doesn´t bother me) 8x32 binoculars on the market, they provide the smallest space for the hands because of their odd strap eyelets. Those eyelets don´t let the hands get behind them to the direction of the eyepieces. There´s a lost of about 40 mm of space due to this design flaw. So in my opinion they are built only for small hands. I don´t have this problem with their bigger brothers, the 8x42 and 10x42 Venturers.
While I like their wide flat field I have to say that the contrast of the Nikon is on a par with e.g. Leica Trinovid but not with the Ultravid or the Zeiss FL. But its main shortcoming in respect of optics is what I would call a hidden suffering by straylight. This degrades the otherwise excellent image the Nikon provides in several situation of light - not only when viewing against flare. I´m amazed sometimes that no reviewer seemed to notice this so far.
On the other hand 700$ is a good bargain. Regular price here in Germany is 1049 €.

Steve

I used a Leica BN for several years but recently sold them and went back to a Swaro 8x30 SLC (new, last years model w/ Swarobright - $720 US). Hinnark hit several reasons. Because of their shape, the BN's felt like a "brick" on my chest and they're too short for my hands and I never could like the shell material. Also, it's utter nonsense that Leica can't provide a decent neck strap and functional objective covers like Swaro does... I tried to retrofit objective covers but nothing was ever satisfactory to me.

For me the Swaro's fit my hands to perfection, the included accessories make it a complete package, I like the warmth of the covering material and objective end focus and their warranty is second to none. Also, here in the US, Swaro's customer service is consistantly better than Leica. The Swaro's I got are clearer further to the edges than my BN's (but that's often a function of individual bins and I was able to cherry pic my Swaro's from aomng several).

In the Leica's favor, they're probably the most robust bin made by quite a bit and the image is excellent. If I ever went to a Leica I'd do the 8x32 Ultravid.

IMO, the finest image in the 8x32 category (which is possibly the full equal of the Ultravid at almost half the price) is the Nikon 8x32 (can't remember the designation). The ergonomics are troubling to me and Nikon's customer service in the US has a spotty reputation... quite a bin tho.

Marly, if it t'wer me I'd live with the bins for a year and see how they work for YOU... that's the most important person's opinion in this discussion!

Cheers...

Brad,

I like that 8x30 Swaro SLC too. If only Swarovski hadn´t failed to improve their close focus at the latest rebuild last year. 4 m is much too less nowadays. The case is still a pain too.

BTW Leica Ultravids come with adjustable objective caps and a lightweight long and wide strap together with a rainguard that is better than any other solution available.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve, I agree with you about the Ultravid Strap and Ocular Covers... however, the Objective covers are lousy, or I should say, the ones offered here in the USA! It's my understanding Leica redesigned them however (made them like the older Swaro "drop-downs"... my favorite!). The Ultravid 8x32's are roughly double the cost of the Swaro's... for me it was impossible to justify. I still have money left over to buy an 8x20 Ultravid though!

As to the older 8x30 SLC's, I never really used the much-vaunted "close focus" of the BN's so going back to the old SLC's was no issue for me and I prefer the old SLC styling to the new (olive green included!).

Gruss Gott...

Brad_A said:
Steve, I agree with you about the Ultravid Strap and Ocular Covers... however, the Objective covers are lousy, or I should say, the ones offered here in the USA! It's my understanding Leica redesigned them however (made them like the older Swaro "drop-downs"... my favorite!). The Ultravid 8x32's are roughly double the cost of the Swaro's... for me it was impossible to justify. I still have money left over to buy an 8x20 Ultravid though!

As to the older 8x30 SLC's, I never really used the much-vaunted "close focus" of the BN's so going back to the old SLC's was no issue for me and I prefer the old SLC styling to the new (olive green included!).

Gruss Gott...

Brad,

no doubt, 720 $ for the Swaros are a real bargain. Official price of the 8x30 SLC here is 1021,- €. It seems that customers in the USA have always the privilege of better prices. The objective covers of the Ultravids are in fact now very similar to those of the SLCs.
I´m also interested in entomology and so a close focus is necessary for my purposes. Without that I would prefer the SLC too.

Happy birdwatching!

Steve

All,

Thanks for your opinions and advice. The bins are due to arrive on Friday, so I guess I will get to form my own opinions at that time.

I really like my Swaros and I would have entertained the 8x30 SLC, but I find the front focus knob a bit uncomfortable. I guess after a period of time, it would become second nature. Swaro makes a great pair of bins.

Some time back I tried to find a pair of Lieca or Zeiss bins that would work without giving me blackouts. The problem stems from the fact that I need a shorter eye relief than what is commonly produced. 17-18mm of ER places the focal plane of my eye in front of that of the bins (deep eye sockets, I guess!). This then produces blackouts. Only after ordering longer eye cups for my 8.5x42 ELs did this problem go away.

The current offerings of Swaro, Zeiss and Leica in the 8x3X range seem to offer a more realistic ER for me (non-eyeglass user) of 14-15 mm. Combine that with a desire to try a different brand lead me to the Trinovid 8x32s.

I'm sure I will enjoy them once they arrive.

Thanks again for your help.

Rgds,

Steffan

Wow, the 8x32 BNs are certainly all that you folks said they would be. Clear and crisp views and built like a brick blockhouse. It's nice to own a pair of Leicas again.

Ya never know. If I continue to use the BNs exclusively, the 8.5x42 ELs might just find their way to the "for sale" shelf.

Thanks again for all of your opinions and help.

Rgds,

Steffan

Trinovid 8x32BN is a winner

I knew of the good reputation about 8x32BN through the birders, but I never tried it before last week end; well, I can confirm it's a great bino! Light, typical "Trinovid construction", solid impression of robustness; opticaly simply a jewel. If I don't already possess Swaro 8x30SLC, I would buy sure Trinovid 8x32BN.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back