• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin courtship behaviour. (1 Viewer)

Mutter

Morning all

For the last few days the robins have been displaying in my garden. It's the first time I've really observed it closely.

There appear to be 3 maybe 4 robins in the garden. Two are definitely or seem to be a pair as they're not trying to attack each other, and it looks like there is at least another male on the patch that gets a good pasting every now and then !

The courtship is great though, the way they stretch their necks and stick out their red chests and sway, it's very comical and fascinating. They remind me of clockwork birds or something from a cuckoo clock.

Am i right in assuming this is courtship or is it agression / terretorial display?

andy

mutleymacclad said:
Am i right in assuming this is courtship or is it agression / terretorial display?

andy
Hi Andy,
So funny to watch aren't they?
I think it's a bit of both as one tends to go with the other doesn't it? And as we know Robin's are so very territorial especially at this time of year when they are looking for nesting sites.
We were lucky enough to have a pair nest in our garden a few years ago now and it coincided with us doing a lot of work in the garden and those Robins followed us all over! I think the babies that year were that well fed as we were throwing worms at their parents all day long!! lol!
Best wishes,

I have been told that there are a couple of other points to watch out for with Robins. Apparently the female "begs" for food from the male. When she does this, she turns away and looks down, to hide her red breast. Otherwise he thinks she is a male and they fight. Haven't seen this myself. Has anyone else?

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back