• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

airzonia lovebirds (1 Viewer)

According to the just-published Arizona Breeding Bird Atlas (Corman and Wise-Gervais, 2005), Peach-faced Lovebirds have been established for some time in various places around Phoenix, but mostly in the eastern half of the greater metropolitan area. They have also been reported as nesting in the Tucson area.

The atlas further says, "Fortunately, there has been little evidence of negative competition of these diminutive parrots on native birds in desert urban settings."

As for where specifically to find them or for more info on their range expansion, you should post a query on the Arizona-New Mexico birding listserve:

http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AZNM.html

But you have to be registered to post. Click on the "home" link once at the list. It's free.

They are indeed still around, and it looks to me like they're breeding. They come to our feeders every year and this year I've counted 25 at one time. This is the fifth year and at first they only came in small groups of 4-5. There was only one pure yellow one the first few years, but now there are some mixed yellow/green and two lighter yellow. I have some pictures, if it's kosher to post photos here.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back