• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma converter (1 Viewer)

John N

Sorry if this question as been asked before but I am using a canon100-400is lens on a canon 10d and find I need more reach, especially for bird photography. I am thinking about a 1.4 or 2 x converters, probably 1.4.I like the sigma 1.4 converter, but I do not know if it is compatible with this set up. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks John.

Hi John,

Either of these converters will be compatable with your set up. However, many people find that using converters with a zoom result in difficulty in getting sharp images - not so bad with the 1.4x, but the 2x with the 100-400 probably wouldn't be recommended.

Cheers

K

Last edited:
John N said:
Sorry if this question as been asked before but I am using a canon100-400is lens on a canon 10d and find I need more reach, especially for bird photography. I am thinking about a 1.4 or 2 x converters, probably 1.4.I like the sigma 1.4 converter, but I do not know if it is compatible with this set up. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks John.
Hi John
I have the 100-400is also have 1.4 and 2x Sigma converters, both work but you loose AF.
I must admit to not using the converters yet with the 100-400is, only with a 100-300 Sigma lens, will eventually try them, I am lazy and dont like MF! ;)

100-300Sigma + converter

Hi Paul,

what are your experiences with 100-300mm f/4 Sigma and a tele converter?
Loss of quality? Difficulties with steadying the gear? Always using a tripod?

Regards,
JanH
(newbee around here)

I use a Nikon D70S and and a (recommended) 100-300mm f4 Sigma as entry level gear for birding (later to be enhanced by a tele converter)

janh said:

I use this lens with a 1.4x tc and find that it still delivers very good images, very little loss of quality, although the focus is slightly slower. It is certainly possible to handhold the lens with the 1.4x, though obviously you'll get better results if you put it on a tripod.

I've only just got a 2x tc and have not tried it with this lens yet, but I guess that the higher magnification and only having manual focus it will be vital to use a tripod with this set up.

Thanks Paul. It looks like I will settle on the 1.4 converter and practice with manual focus. I managed to borrow one this week and although the weather was totally unsuitable I managed a couple of shots good enough for identification purpose. The only thing I have to decide is if the canon extender is worth the extra cash.

janh said:
Hi Paul,

Regards,
JanH
(newbee around here)

I use a Nikon D70S and and a (recommended) 100-300mm f4 Sigma as entry level gear for birding (later to be enhanced by a tele converter)
Hi Jan,
I had no problems with the Sigma and TC, when you stack another piece of glass onto your main lens you have got to expect some loss of quality.
I was happy with my results (see my gallery, most of the pics from this set up)
Always found it easy to hand hold, I never felt the need to use a tripod.
Main reasons for upgrading to the Canon 100-400is was
1. Less weight
2. Same focal length gained without TC
3.Image Stabiliser ( makes a big difference with hand held)
Hope this helps
Cheers
PaulV

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to photography so please be gentle with me.

I have a D60 and a Sigma 400mm APO tele. I have tried a cheap Jessops Canon fit 2 X convertor and it's absolute toilet........as you would imagine. I was young and foolish and didn't think it would make that much difference if I plumped for a cheapy. Realising the error of my ways, I am now in a position where I can afford a Sigma 2 x convertor to use with the same set up. I know that there will be some effect on the quality of the image and I won't be able to use AF. My question is, providing I use a decent tripod etc to eliminate movement, will the negative effect using the Sigma 2 X convertor be anywhere near as horrendous as that experienced by using the Jessops abomination?

Andy Owl said:
My question is, providing I use a decent tripod etc to eliminate movement, will the negative effect using the Sigma 2 X convertor be anywhere near as horrendous as that experienced by using the Jessops abomination?

The sigma 2x will cause a very slight decrease in image quality, but not much, should definitely perform better than the cheap one you've used.

Best bet is to get along to a shop ant try one yourself, take some test shots with and without the 2x tc. Then take your time to review them at home before buying.

postcardcv said:
The sigma 2x will cause a very slight decrease in image quality, but not much, should definitely perform better than the cheap one you've used.

Best bet is to get along to a shop ant try one yourself, take some test shots with and without the 2x tc. Then take your time to review them at home before buying.
I thought that should be the case but it's nice to have it confirmed by somebody who knows what they're talking about! If only we had another local dealer other than Jessops |=)|

Many thanks for your help postcardcv

Andy Owl said:
I thought that should be the case but it's nice to have it confirmed by somebody who knows what they're talking about!

don't mistake me for someone who knows what they're talking about!

postcardcv said:
don't mistake me for someone who knows what they're talking about!
I've just looked through your gallery. I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt |=)| The Bearded Tit pic is phenominal!

I have used a Jessops 2x TC with both Canon 100-400 IS and Sigma 50-500 lenses with success in good light. With careful manual focusing it is possible to obtain sharp images. Recent examples in my gallery include Spoonbill, Grey Heron and Common Snipe.

Sandpiper said:
I have used a Jessops 2x TC with both Canon 100-400 IS and Sigma 50-500 lenses with success in good light. With careful manual focusing it is possible to obtain sharp images. Recent examples in my gallery include Spoonbill, Grey Heron and Common Snipe.
Thanks for showing me your results Sandpiper.

I see your point and I have had a couple of decent record shots using it in good light. If I lived in California I'd probably be able to muddle along and save money. Unfortunately I live in Doncaster where good light can't be relied on so I need all the help I can get |:d|
Unless it's sunny, what I now lovingly refer to as "that peace of cr*p", doesn't come out of the bag anymore and even then it's only if I'm out of range and it's a subject I'd particularly like a record of. I may use it purely to increase magnification on a dull day but certainly not with any thought of getting anything like a half decent picture.
It cost me £75 and I expected it to transform my bird photography. What was I thinking? |:$|

Andy Owl said:
Thanks for showing me your results Sandpiper.

I see your point and I have had a couple of decent record shots using it in good light. If I lived in California I'd probably be able to muddle along and save money. Unfortunately I live in Doncaster where good light can't be relied on so I need all the help I can get |:d|
Unless it's sunny, what I now lovingly refer to as "that peace of cr*p", doesn't come out of the bag anymore and even then it's only if I'm out of range and it's a subject I'd particularly like a record of. I may use it purely to increase magnification on a dull day but certainly not with any thought of getting anything like a half decent picture.
It cost me £75 and I expected it to transform my bird photography. What was I thinking? |:$|
Have just got back from doing a direct comparison between my Jessops and the Sigma. It was overcast so not ideal conditions but what can't speak can't lie. My findings were thus - nothing between the two at all. Both produced images significantly inferior to those taken with just lens and camera.

So either :

a) The Jessops actually is a fantastic bargain.

b) The Sigma isn't worth the money.

c) 2 x converters generally are a waste of time in anything other than excellent light.

d) The Sigma only comes into it's own in good light and then justifies itself being twice the price.

or

e) It's time I packed this in. I don't think I can handle the dissapointment or hair-loss anymore |:S|

Last edited:
why do some sigma lenses for canon eos fit the sigma 1.4x converters but others dont because i was thinking about buying the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro lens but on the sigma website it isn't included in the compatability guide

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back