• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding between Los Angeles and San Diego (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

I'm going on a short trip to California in a week's time and hope to do a bit of birding here and there.
I'll be hiring a car and it would be nice to see some birds that we don't get in Florida.

Any suggestions or information re the area between LA and San Diego would be gratefully received.

Grousemore said:
I'm going on a short trip to California in a week's time and hope to do a bit of birding here and there.
I'll be hiring a car and it would be nice to see some birds that we don't get in Florida.

Any suggestions or information re the area between LA and San Diego would be gratefully received.

There's a good book by Brad Schram on birding southern California, part of the ABA lane birdfinding guides, I'd thoroughly recommend that.

Orange county has some good areas to visit, coastal marshes such as Bolsa Chica, Newport back bay. Also check out Huntington central park, Irvine regional park, Peters canyon. Any of beaches especially Crystal cove state park is always nice for a walk. Santa Ana mountains, San Joaquim marsh

Lots of places to choose from, the weather is lovely here at the moment as well not too hot and lots of sun. Let me know what your plans are and I can also advise any further trips. Check out the Sea and Sage audubon site and also Joe Morlans california site has a good list of places in the various counties as well

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/county.htm
http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/

Last edited:
DavidP said:
There's a good book by Brad Schram on birding southern California, part of the ABA lane birdfinding guides, I'd thoroughly recommend that.

Orange county has some good areas to visit, coastal marshes such as Bolsa Chica, Newport back bay. Also check out Huntington central park, Irvine regional park, Peters canyon. Any of beaches especially Crystal cove state park is always nice for a walk. Santa Ana mountains, San Joaquim marsh

Lots of places to choose from, the weather is lovely here at the moment as well not too hot and lots of sun. Let me know what your plans are and I can also advise any further trips. Check out the Sea and Sage audubon site and also Joe Morlans california site has a good list of places in the various counties as well

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/county.htm
http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/

Many thanks, David; just the sort of gen I was after.
Unfortunately, birding has to fit in with business, so I can't go too far afield.
San Diego is the business destination, LA the airport.
I'll probably have 3 periods of 3to4 hours for birding and would like to see some "western" specialities.
Don't suppose a Roadrunner is possible?

Grousemore said:
Many thanks, David; just the sort of gen I was after.
Unfortunately, birding has to fit in with business, so I can't go too far afield.
San Diego is the business destination, LA the airport.
I'll probably have 3 periods of 3to4 hours for birding and would like to see some "western" specialities.
Don't suppose a Roadrunner is possible?

Roadrunner is certainly very possible, we used to have one come into our garden and eat the lizards. They tend to be more common further inland in more deserty areas but certainly common all over really, I've seen them at Crystal cove.

San Diego is a great destination and my top spot there is the Tijuana river mouth, park in Imperial beach and walk the beach to the estuary mouth. Lots of good stuff there and you also get to see the bullring in Tijuana on the cliff tops.
Seems a good place fro snowy plovers and an easy place to get to if you have a few hours in San Diego. Check out the san diego audubon site.
Also if you have a little more time, like most of a day then head over to the Salton sea, great place in sort of Mad max bladerunner post apocalypse sort of way but good birds and it won't be 110 this time of year.

DavidP said:
Roadrunner is certainly very possible, we used to have one come into our garden and eat the lizards. They tend to be more common further inland in more deserty areas but certainly common all over really, I've seen them at Crystal cove.

San Diego is a great destination and my top spot there is the Tijuana river mouth, park in Imperial beach and walk the beach to the estuary mouth. Lots of good stuff there and you also get to see the bullring in Tijuana on the cliff tops.
Seems a good place fro snowy plovers and an easy place to get to if you have a few hours in San Diego. Check out the san diego audubon site.
Also if you have a little more time, like most of a day then head over to the Salton sea, great place in sort of Mad max bladerunner post apocalypse sort of way but good birds and it won't be 110 this time of year.

Thanks again, I've got some good info from the sources you referenced.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back