• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D2X / Leica APO Televid 77 (1 Viewer)

GetCarter

Hi

First post on this forum ... and I'm after some advice if possible.

I'm looking to buy a spotting scope, that will be permanently situated looking out of a window in our house (we overlook a sea loch in the West Highlands so get plenty of opportunity to see wildlife - not just birds, but otters, dolphins etc). Weight and size are therefore not an issue as it will not need to be portable. Having done a little research, I thought the Leica APO Televid 77 with the 20 - 60x zoom looked like a good choice.

First question: Am I right, or are there better scopes? (Money not too much of an issue, but the APO77 with decent tripod was roughly the money I'd be happy to spend).

Next question: I use a Nikon D2X and thought this might be a good time to get into some digiscoping. I assume that if I buy the Leica photo adapter and the relevant adapter ring for the Nikon the two should 'marry' ok? (I'm a complete novice with scopes so please excuse the dumb questions!).

Last question: My concern is that the APO77 seems very 'slow' ( 800mm f/10.4 or 1000mm f/13). Do those of you who do this sort of thing find that you need really bright days to get good results?

Thanks for any help and advice

Steve
www.Torridon.org (If you're interested!)

GetCarter said:
Hi

First post on this forum ... and I'm after some advice if possible.

I'm looking to buy a spotting scope, that will be permanently situated looking out of a window in our house (we overlook a sea loch in the West Highlands so get plenty of opportunity to see wildlife - not just birds, but otters, dolphins etc). Weight and size are therefore not an issue as it will not need to be portable. Having done a little research, I thought the Leica APO Televid 77 with the 20 - 60x zoom looked like a good choice.

First question: Am I right, or are there better scopes? (Money not too much of an issue, but the APO77 with decent tripod was roughly the money I'd be happy to spend).

Next question: I use a Nikon D2X and thought this might be a good time to get into some digiscoping. I assume that if I buy the Leica photo adapter and the relevant adapter ring for the Nikon the two should 'marry' ok? (I'm a complete novice with scopes so please excuse the dumb questions!).

Last question: My concern is that the APO77 seems very 'slow' ( 800mm f/10.4 or 1000mm f/13). Do those of you who do this sort of thing find that you need really bright days to get good results?

Thanks for any help and advice

Steve
www.Torridon.org (If you're interested!)

All telescopes will be very slow compared with a normal camera lens, but the magnification will be higher. I've only done digiscoping with a compact Nikon 4500 where the bounce caused by an SLR mirror is not an issue. Also the weight of an SLR on the back of the telescope would cause some balancing problems on a tripod. My 4500 is enough to meake the picture shift down when I let go of the adjusting handles of my Manfrotto tripod.

The Leica APO 77 is an excellent telescope, I've owned on for a few years. The only other brand I've come across that could beat it is th Swarowski.

Bythe way your web site on Torridon shows it is a beautiful place.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back