• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden (1 Viewer)

Gruff Dodd

I may have the chance to visit Sweden for 4 days, from 15th to 18th April, arriving in Stockholm.

If the trip goes ahead, I would be very keen to see the following species:

Pygmy Owl - Glaucidium passerinum
Hazelhen - Bonasa bonasia
Willow Grouse - Lagopus lagopus

Can anyone recommend any reliable places for these species within travelling disatnce from Stockholm in the time I have, please?

Even better, are there any Swedish birders out there who might be willing to help show me these birds during this time?

Tack.

Gruff Dodd said:
I may have the chance to visit Sweden for 4 days, from 15th to 18th April, arriving in Stockholm.

If the trip goes ahead, I would be very keen to see the following species:

Pygmy Owl - Glaucidium passerinum
Hazelhen - Bonasa bonasia
Willow Grouse - Lagopus lagopus

Can anyone recommend any reliable places for these species within travelling disatnce from Stockholm in the time I have, please?

Even better, are there any Swedish birders out there who might be willing to help show me these birds during this time?

Tack.

Hi Gruff,

Iam not from Sweden but birded there many years ago.

Altough I only spend 1 day birding around the capital. I have heard that Pygmy owls are the most common owl around Stockholm.

I birded in a area called Angarn, located in Roslagen, a wonderful landscape with a large lake in the middle sourronded by woodland and open grasslands. It was a amazing experience, Pygmy owls where seen two times and was easily observed, never saw the grouse here but it defenitely occur here, other species which you might be lucky to see here is common crane, Long-eared owl, Grey partridge, ruff, Northern shovler, osprey, bittern and most birds typcial to the Scandinavian birdfauna, I think around 230 bird species has been seen here.

I dont think you have any chance to see any Willow Grouse if you not drive further north for some hours, this species dont range as far south as Stockholm.

Angarn is located 2-3 miles north of Stockholm so a car is needed to get here, its far out on the countryside and not good conections as far Iam aware, but that might have changed since.

Papuan birder said:
Hi Gruff,

Iam not from Sweden but birded there many years ago.

Altough I only spend 1 day birding around the capital. I have heard that Pygmy owls are the most common owl around Stockholm.

I birded in a area called Angarn, located in Roslagen, a wonderful landscape with a large lake in the middle sourronded by woodland and open grasslands. It was a amazing experience, Pygmy owls where seen two times and was easily observed, never saw the grouse here but it defenitely occur here, other species which you might be lucky to see here is common crane, Long-eared owl, Grey partridge, ruff, Northern shovler, osprey, bittern and most birds typcial to the Scandinavian birdfauna, I think around 230 bird species has been seen here.

I dont think you have any chance to see any Willow Grouse if you not drive further north for some hours, this species dont range as far south as Stockholm.

Angarn is located 2-3 miles north of Stockholm so a car is needed to get here, its far out on the countryside and not good conections as far Iam aware, but that might have changed since.

Many thanks - that's excellent info - really appreciate the reply.

All the best.

The area around Bennebols, about a hour N of Stockholm, is very for Pygmy Owl (learn the call, whistle it if you can & listen out for tits mobbing – they go crazy when there's a PO about) & has lots of Hazelhen (but very hard to find). Great also for Capers, Ural Owl, 'peckers (including 3-toed and Grey-headed), Cranes, White-tailed Eagle etc. It's a well-birded area, so you should pick up good on-the-ground gen, particularly at weekends. Take your thermals; there's still lots of snow about. Good for mammals, too: lots of Lynx this year, a couple of Bears about and Elk (moose) is common, but expect to see only the last of those three. There is still a Hawk Owl in the Uppsalla area, but I don't have directions (ask a Swede).

Thanks for the info guys. Last minute change of plan means that I'm now going to Mallorca instead, but may still look at Sweden for early May, so the info is extremely welcome.

All the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back