• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recently I've bought.... (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
Zamberlan goretex boots - extremely comfortable, waterproof & the lacing eyes don't shred the laces.
Tresspass thermal undies from Outdoormania - excellent.
Stormlite baselayers from Field & trek - excellent.
Brasher tracklite boot from M&Mdirect - only £19 - brilliant arch support & plenty of toe room - might buy several more pairs.
Handwarmer from Field&trek
Berghaus boulder jacket from M&Mdirect - very dissapointed - if I'd paid £200 for it I'd be camped on the doorstep asking for a refund - it's waterproof & windproof but the stormflap & neckflap velcros are so small they have to be perfectly aligned to grip - try that in a gale with gloves on - very poor, however at M&M's discount price of £70 not too bad.
Craghopper Kiwi trousers from Field&trek - very nice - comfy fit - tons of pockets - wind & water resistant - come in two flavours, one is regular trouser - other is zip off leg to convert to summer shorts.
Gaiters - you really need gaiters from here
Hat - best type I've tried - this one

I'm rather fond of Field&trek at the moment as besides being cheap every time you make a purchase you get a 15% off voucher - they are not quick on delivery but reliably deliver one week later.

Pole bag from Field & Trek very handy as it takes (at a squeeze) two sets of poles.

Berhaus Choktoi windproof from Go Outdoors - tons of pockets, designed for use with a ruksack, cut low to cover some of your bum, HUGE pit vents.

Several pairs of Regatta Action II trousers from Allweathers - brain fuddling amount of pockets with big chunky zips and they fit my little short legs.

Some Craghopper shirts from Go Outdoors

Some Craghopper T shirts from Go Outdoors - like these a lot as they are cut nicely around the neck and have exterior seams plus they are anti mozy & anti stink.

Most useful recent buy is a Montane Litespeed windshirt from OutdoorMania - tiny - size of an orange and goes everywhere with me - use it as an outer over a fleece or Tshirt or as an extra inner layer under a coat - brilliant.

Had a chance to evaluate the Berghaus Choktoi.

It's sold as a very hard wearing tough fleece and I'm inclined to agree - it's not fleecy at all - or even hairy.
It sort of feels 'velvety' and is very thin and consequently has no bulk like a traditional fleece - half of it is made of toughened panels to take the rub of a rucksack.
Plenty of pockets including two poacher pockets inside - pits zips are the biggest I've seen and extend nearly down to the hip.
I wore it under a Berghaus Goretex coat yesterday as I was pillion on a bike and it was raining heavily but despite the temp being fairly high I was quite comfortable when I'd expected to be a sweaty mess.

Seems like a really good 'workhorse' jacket that keeps the wind out but does not become insufferably hot as the temps rise - really like the cut of it as it covers your bum.

You need a hat with it as it has no hood, great as a winter liner, great as a GP jacket even in warmer weather as it has good vents - very pleased with it even at £80 as I don't normally spend that amount on something advertised as a 'windstopper fleece'.

Bit of a gamble buying it as where I am we get lots of wind that needs stopping but it's not particularly cold - the Choktoi cleverly keeps the wind out but doesn't overheat you when it stops.

Ordered Paramo Cascada, Fuera Smock & Windproof trousers from
The nice people at Go Outdoors
I'll let you know how they perform - bad news is that I got the Cascada for £90 - it's now £144, the trousers are still cheap at £25 - the smocks have vanished !!
Also at Go Outdoors are Zamberlan micron boots of which I have two pairs - very comfortable and waterproof.
At Gear - Zone I bought a Buff - lots of money for an insignificant bit of gear but they are great - balaclava, cap, neck warmer, sun hat/neck protector - all in one - I think they are great and have both the summer/winter ones - they will not suit everyone though as they are rather 'radical' but get the job done and scrunch into nothing.
Walking poles always seemed like something my Gran would have needed (if she were still alive) not me - got myself some Trespass poles from Outdoormania
Wish I'd bought some years ago - I only use one - I'm not into that silly two pole wavey around thing that 'walking' people do - I use mine to make a tripod with my legs - to lean into when passing a bog, to feel for soft ground, to whack things that look like snakes, as a brake when descending hills - marvelous gadget - get some and learn how to use them properly - a much safer day out.
The Regatta Action trousers from Allweathers have had a good workout and for £11.50 are a bargain - I've got short legs and lots of shops only sell long but Allweathers do all sizes - a ton of pockets - big chunky zips - double layer where you need it - light enough for summer wear but keep the draught out on the back of a bike - very well made - I like Craghopper Kiwis but the pairs I have all have small faults - the Regatta's don't.

Well I'm a bit disapointed with Paramo - I thought by buying Paramo I was sponsoring someone to hug a tree in Colombia - unless Vietnam has suddenly hopped on a tectonic plate and relocated itself I'm not - the Fuera smock & trousers are stamped 'made in Vietnam'.
The Cascada jacket appears to be Colombian though - very nice it is too - I imagined from reviews that it was rather heavy - it's not - the warmth from it makes it feel like you are wearing a heavy coat.
It's also not a jacket as it has plenty of length, the arms are cut very generously allowing a thick fleece to be worn and maintain easy arm movement.
The material is very soft, storm flap has press studs, neck protection is excellent as is the wired hood, the adjustment toggles all do the right thing even though I've never worked out how these things work 'one handed'.
No point in talking about wet weather performance/breathability as it's legendary - I bought it because it was a steal and I like coats - everything is right about it - easy to slip on cos it's errrr...slippery - grab the collar and 'flick' the hood - it pops up over your head - has a more luxurious feel than a stiff Goretex.
Only tiny minus point for me is pockets - there are only three but they are a good size.

Fuera wind smock & trousers - if GoOutdoors do them for £25 each again they are a bargain - I've got a Montane lightspeed windproof which is great for summer but is thinner than human skin - the Fuera is a heavier smock but still packs to pint pot size, has an excellent wired hood & face protection - if you roll the hood inwards it makes a nice collar from the hood wiring - highly windproof and fairly waterproof depending on how much Nikwax you soak it in - very nice - it'll be stuffed in the camera bag this autumn.
Fuera windproof trousers from Vietnam - £75 to £25 nobrainer - initially they look plasticy like overtrousers but they are the same silky material from the jackets - two way full length side zips for venting and boot putting on - studded bottom for adjustment, two layer wear zones, only three pockets though, elasticated/draw cord waist - perfect for summer as a lightweight vented trouser and in winter with a long-john baselayer.
From GoOutdoors I've got a fantastic coat, a smock & trousers for £140 - impressive quality - not a loose thread anywhere, lifetime guarantee - very pleased.

Thanks for that Chris - I guess it's the time of year when we need to be thinking ahead to needing water/windproof/warm kit...

Keith Reeder said:
Thanks for that Chris - I guess it's the time of year when we need to be thinking ahead to needing water/windproof/warm kit...

Certainly is - temp has dropped degrees here very suddenly with northerly winds bit unusual for August when it normally rains.
I've got Berghaus, Helly hanson, Craghopper etc etc gear but I must say that the Paramo stuff is bee's knee's - would never have bought it at full price as I don't really need it but at a discount like that I couldn't refuse.
I now have a coat for nearly every day of the year some of which cost less than courier charge to get them to me which was often paid by the sender when they were out of stock - there are bargains galore if you know where to look.

Buffs.

Buff video - how to wear one
Buffs are another great way of accumulating exotic clothing and spending even more money on a hobby that could be done in everyday clothes - they do however make the experience very comfortable.

I bought my (four) buffs from the Buff website directly as UK suppliers don't have the Cyclone buff which is brilliant.
The standard buffs weigh less than air, can be Nikwaxed and are a hat, balaclava and summer sun neck protector.
The Polar & Cyclone buffs are for winter and are great for wearing under a motorcycle helmet, heavy duty balaclava, heavy duty hat - also can be Nikwaxed to waterproof.

I've seen people wearing them and thought they looked stupid/like a pirate/daft but it's only when you get one you appreciate how useful they are - sun hat/wind hat/waterproof (Nikwaxed)/face mask/balaclava/scarf/sweat band - perfect companion for a windshirt.

Buy a Buff

You won't stop at one ;)

Hi Chris,
Would have thought a good Cornish Lad like you would have supported your local Trago's !!!
Good info, may look into the Zam Micron Boots.
regards I4ani

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back