• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jelly fungi (1 Viewer)

hattyview

jelly fungi ID Required

Hi

could anyone give me an ID for this fungus, it was approx 5-6cm diameter, very slimy, wobbly, growing on sandy soil amongst moss and leaf litter.

Thought it was a decomposing jews ear fungus at first but I think it is probably something totally different as the texture was wrong.

Cheers

Gemma :cat:

Attachments

• jelly-fungi-(front)-for-bir.jpg
    jelly-fungi-(front)-for-bir.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 131
  • jelly-fungi-back-for-bird-f.jpg
    jelly-fungi-back-for-bird-f.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
hattyview said:
Hi

could anyone give me an ID for this fungus, it was approx 5-6cm diameter, very slimy, wobbly, growing on sandy soil amongst moss and leaf litter.

Thought it was a decomposing jews ear fungus at first but I think it is probably something totally different as the texture was wrong.

Cheers

Gemma: I've no idea what it is, but most/all jelly fungi grow on decaying wood. I cannot think of one that grows on sandy soil. Jews Ear grows on various woods, especially Elder, the tree from which Judas Iscariot is thought to have hanged himself.

However, there are numerous cup fungi that do grow on sandy soil, especially at this time of year. Paxina acetabulum is not uncommon, and I saw some today growing on sandy soil. There are a few similar species. There are also some Peziza species that can appear in the Spring. However, the rather messy specimen you have found is not an obvious match to anything. I presume the specimen was seen recently?

Leif

hattyview said:
Hi

Cheers

Hi Gemma,

Though I often name fungi posted in this forum, this has me baffled too.

I even wondered briefly if it could be Nostoc, a blue-green alga that sometimes forms very large jelly-like growths amongst wet moss, but it doesn't really look like that either.

So a completely unhelpful response, but I tried!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back