• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor images with EOS350D + Opticron GS665 (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I'm new to DSLR and digiscoping and have just bought an EOS 350D,
Opticron GS665, T-mount and Opticron Telephoto Adapter.

I think I've connected it up correctly, camera-tmount-adapter-scope.

I've tried the camera on Manual and Progam AE but can't seem to get a
good focus. When looking through the viewfinder it looks fine. But the
depth of field seems very small and most of the picture is out of
focus when I zoom in.

According to the scope documentation it should be 900mm/f13.5 but the
camera shows f0.0, I assume that's because the camera can't 'talk' to
the lens. Do I need to do anything to tell the camera that it is a
f13.5 lens ?

Does anyone have any tips on using this combination ?

Thanks, Bob
:stuck:

Welcome to Birdforum, Bob.Are you using an eye-peice ?I also have the same camera but an ES80 scope coupled to a tele-adapter and T-mount but use an HDF 23x eyepeice.

Henry B said:
Welcome to Birdforum, Bob.Are you using an eye-peice ?I also have the same camera but an ES80 scope coupled to a tele-adapter and T-mount but use an HDF 23x eyepeice.

Hi Henry. I've got the Opticro 41110 telephoto adapter that screws straight into the scope and connects to the t-mount. The eye-piece is the 40862 HDF 16-48x zoom and that doesn't seem to be able to connect to the adapter. Btw, for anyone looking at the same set-up, this means that you have to keep changig between eye-piece and adapter if you want to spot and digiscope and that is a pain on a cold day with numb fingers ! Fitting over an eye-piece may be more practical.

The general feedback I've received is that it takes practice/trial-and-error given that with a lens of this range (900mm estimated by Opticron) the depth of field is very small. I suspect that when I focus the scope it looks OK to the eye but is not quite accurate for the camera.

The scope is probably too small (66.5) to get the best results but it's a balance between portability and performance and I'm happy with the scope itself.

Bob, Welcome to the joys of photographing with a DSLR and Scope . I have to use Manual Exposure Mode with my Nikons and guestimate the Shutter Speed based on the f12.5 of my Swarovski scope. I usually do a test first and check the histogram and then the image. I find focusing though a f12.5 scope to be very difficult too and the vibration from the mirror/hand combination is a problem. Try Mirror Lockup and remote firing. This is what the nature photographers call a Super-Telephoto lens so look up the techniques for handling this degree of magnification.Neil
ps I don't use this much out in the field as I prefer my little Olympus digicam.

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same problems, Bob.
I got a photo adapter and T-mount (Opticron 40607) recently and have been getting lousy pictures through my GS665 too. I actually came on to this forum to post a thread for help!
I'm using the eye piece (bought specially for digiscoping) I was recommended by the dealer (HR 40812), which is also recommended on the Opticron website.

Yet when I take pictures that look in focus, they aren't. I don't think shake is the problem, as my pictures are lousy even when I use a hide clamp and use a remote to release the shutter.

Focusing through the scope is a nightmare too!
Neil's advice sounds way too complicated for a novice like me, so I'm considering switching to a compact camera to digiscope with now.

Any other suugestions would be very welcome.

Kit

Hi Henry,

I've uploaded a selection of snaps, from bad to frustrating. The kingfisher is the closest I've come to a good picture, but is still out of focus. I was lucky to have a very obliging model! If only I'd been a better photographer!

Kit

Attachments

• Teal.jpg
    Teal.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 690
  • Blurry BNG.jpg
    Blurry BNG.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Blurry Kingfisher.jpg
    Blurry Kingfisher.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 744
Kit ,i would first suggest to check the dioptre adjustment,and then make sure your set-up is rock steady. I,m still learning this stuff my-self so maybe someone else could offer some more info. Like the Kingfisher,good luck..

Kit, Looking at the photos it looks like you have a problem of camera shake and slow shutter speeds. The Kingfisher should be a good test because they normally stay still. It you tap your camera/scope and they vibrate then you don't have a steady enough platform. What tripod and head are you using? Did you use mirror lockup and a remote ? Neil.

Neil and Henry,
thanks for the posts/advice. I'm sure my setup is wobbly (I know it is-I'm using a cheap Velbon tripod/head that I used to use for the camera alone) and I badly need a new tripod. I have tried to minimise shake though (my hide clamp is sturdy and I've got a remote-both of which I used for the teal shot), prior to shelling out for a new tripod just in case this wasn't the problem and I need to put the money to something else to get better snaps!

Haven't tried mirror lockup Neil, so might give that a go when I read up how to do it!

Thanks again for the advice.

Kit

Opticron ES 80 GA ED scope and digital SLR

:hi:

I have just received my Opticron ES 80 GA ED scope and digital SLR telephoto adapter kit.

I too was surprised when the kit arrived as I expected to use the eyepiece when taking pictures. Used it yesterday for the first time and I also had some pics out of focus but my biggest problem was the brightness. All of my pictures were way to bright..........I had to reduce the level of brightness on the pc this morning by -48.

I tried using manual mode but didn't know what level to set the aperture at. Any suggestions. I then went back to the sports mode in order to catch the birds..........to reduce brightness is a small price to pay for a close image but I would prefer to not have to do this.

Henry B, could you give me tips at the Strathspey bash? Get writing notes for me..........as many as you like but don't make them too complicated. I am a mere woman so nothing too technical or it will all go back in the box and go under the bed !! :eek!:

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

Rin x

:h?:

Hi, I know this is an old post but I have exactly the same problem. Did this ever get resolved because I'm finding it a nightmare. You're exactly right in that the depth of field is microscopic so you don't seem to have a chance of getting anything in focus. Its a real problem as far as I can see and I can't seem to get a answer from Opticron either. Like you say - trial and error but these things aren't cheap !. I've found better results just holding the camera plus lens up to the eyepiece and shoot through that.

Let me know if anyone has had some success with these adaptors and camera combinations.

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back