• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 8.5 X 42 EL Owner :) (1 Viewer)

Kristin W.

Hello everyone. I just had to post that I just purchased my first pair of 8.5 X 42 EL's this afternoon and I am beside myself with happiness! I have debated for about a year now on which binos to buy as ones at this price point should be the final answer (for me, at least). Anyway, I knew you all would understand and indulge me. :-O

Kristin Wilkinson

Kristin W. said:
Hello everyone. I just had to post that I just purchased my first pair of 8.5 X 42 EL's this afternoon and I am beside myself with happiness! I have debated for about a year now on which binos to buy as ones at this price point should be the final answer (for me, at least). Anyway, I knew you all would understand and indulge me. :-O

Kristin Wilkinson

Congratulations Kristin! It's an outstanding binocular.

Rihc

Kristin,

I have been interested in binoculars since I was a littleboy and have had many binoculars during the years, and have tried many great binoculars. At the moment I have some decent japanese and chinese models. I am still waiting for the moment to purchase a real high-end binocular, however. There are many competitors in the binocular-jungle. You can't go wrong with a Swarovski 8,5x42.

Regards, Patric

Kristin,

You have made an excellent choice in binoculars that will serve you extremely well for years to come. I have a pair myself and I couldn't be happier.

That being said, I did indulge myself the other weekend and I picked up a new pair of 7x42 Ultravids. All I can say is "wow".

Now I just have to choose between two incredible bins when I head out the door.

Great to see another Albuquerque member. I think that you and I are the only ones!

Regards,

Steffan

Kristin W. said:

Kristin Wilkinson

Well 'Snap' :clap:

After about the same length of time deliberating over Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica I finally decided on the 8.5 X 42 EL's, and like you am more than happy. For the past 18 years I've had a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 10 X 40 BGAT* and they have given excellent service,but it was time for a change. I had thought of putting them in against my new bins but in the end I passed them on to my son.

My only gripe is, considering the cost, perhaps Swarovski could at least improve on the 'wash bag' that they give you to protect your optics ;)

Regards

Mike :t:

Mike,
Thanks for the laugh! I too was quite surprised at the distinct lack of quality of the case! Not only that but it really is useless. The bag cannot be zipped up easily because it is too small to accomodate the strap as well as the binoculars. I am basically going to just pack it away and use a padded Lowepro case.

Funny thing all... I had to return the binoculars today and get another pair because I found a discrepancy between the "power" on the consumer's warrenty card and the actual binoculars! The serial numbers were correct on all documentation but as I said, the magnification statement said 10 x 32! I am still thrilled with the purchase!

Kristin W. said:
Mike,
Thanks for the laugh! I too was quite surprised at the distinct lack of quality of the case! Not only that but it really is useless. The bag cannot be zipped up easily because it is too small to accomodate the strap as well as the binoculars. I am basically going to just pack it away and use a padded Lowepro case.

Funny thing all... I had to return the binoculars today and get another pair because I found a discrepancy between the "power" on the consumer's warrenty card and the actual binoculars! The serial numbers were correct on all documentation but as I said, the magnification statement said 10 x 32! I am still thrilled with the purchase!

So much for Quality Control

Regards

Mike :t:

Kristin W. said:
Mike,

Hi Kristin,

I use a Pelican 1200 case. It is the size of a small lunch box but very rugged. I also place a thin, stiff piece of plastic just in front of the objective lenses so that a hard hit won't drive the glass into the foam. I think the small cost of the case is good insurance for the binocular.

http://www.adorama.com/PL1200YL.html?sid=11448197162873196

It also comes in black and it may also come in silver (gray). I like yellow for a small case like the 1200.

Rich

Last edited:
Kristin,
I made the same choice as you and haven't looked back. I've been completely thrilled every time I focus my EL's. You'll just love um in the field. As far as a great case is concerned check out the Snug-Rug, I purchases mine from Cabela's. I saw this case originally recomended on this forum earlier this year. It's just about perfect for the EL's.....strap and all. It costs around $30 U.S.

Congradulations on the 8.5x42 ELs, you made a very good choice. I've had a pair since 2001 and I've been so satisified with them I haven't even been interested in trying out any of the other (and newer) high-end 8x42 models from Leica, Zeiss and Nikon.

I currently have 6 pairs of binoculars ranging from 7x50s - 22x60s and my 8.5x42s are the last pair I'd be willing to part with because of their optical quality, great ergonomics and all-around versatility.

John Finnan

New 8.5X42 Owner

Hi there Kristin W

How are your new bins??

I just thought I'd share a minor problem which whilst it's been covered in a previous thread might be of some interest. After just a couple of outings I notice that the 'plastic strap retaining covers' are cracking.

Earlier this evening I fired off a couple of e-mails to Swarovski at Absom and here in the UK, having a dig about the lack of quality on both the 'new strap and the 'wash bag' :scribe:

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

All the best

Mike Bidwell :t:

Kristin W. said:

Kristin Wilkinson

Hi Kristin,

yes, I understand and want to refer that my long journey through the lines oft high-end binos has come to it´s end. First I purchased a Victory 8x42 T*FL - brillant and very bright optics, but in my case with very bothering blurring in the edges, and always a little of "plastics feeling". The next one - Nikon HG 10x32 (top of line bino from NIKON, other name in U.S.) was solid and served very well, but heavy, with a close field of view and focussing was too quick for my feeling. Third one was LEICA 10x42 Ultravid - top optics, but too small for my hands and a with a very harsh focussing mechanism - absolute disappointing, even if LEICA´s service did a great job and replaced them by another pair. 2 days ago I purchased my SWAROVSKI 8,5x42 EL and I don´t have to continue with my search now. Thy are really perfect for my purpose and requirements. Solid as a rock, bright, sharp picture even in the edge, absolute smooth and precise focussing with IMHO optimal gear ratio, nice to get them in hands - they meet my demands 100 %, even if my very fussy requirements are made to them. I laid them beside my bed for the last two nights ;) and won´t be without them. At last I have to say that no bashing of other manufacturers is intended ! I just got what I´ve searched for a long time and now I am completely pleased with SWAROVSKI´s product - may be they have a new disciple... ;)

Peter

Hello Kristin,

Hope you are still enjoying your bins. Since you started this thread, I too have purchased a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 EL and can report that I am absolutely delighted with them. Funny thing though, it wasn’t love at first sight. I had intended buying the smaller 8x32 ELs as, on a previous brief test of the 8.5x, I felt that they were too heavy for my purposes. However, when I tried out the 8x32 I decided I wanted a wider FOV than they provided and anyway found that they were too small for my hands. I therefore tried the 8.5x42s again.

This time my experience was very different. I was immediately won over by the combination of exceptional brightness and clarity of image and the excellent field of view and depth of field. The bins felt so good in my hands and so well-balanced that I didn’t notice the greater weight. I agree with PeterD about the merits of the focussing mechanism. I like the slower and more precise movement – it gives a reassuring feel of quality build. I also like the security of the dioptre setting.

Before I made the purchase I tried out the 7x42 and 8x42 Ultravids. All in all I preferred the 8.5x EL to the 8x Ultravid though I wasn’t able to try them side by side. The 7x42 Ultravids are terrific and for a time I was uncertain which to opt for, but in the end I decided to go for the greater magnification of the ELs. I have no regrets. They are superb binoculars. I have had them over a fortnight now and I find I like them more and more every time I put them to my eyes. Meanwhile I can only envy Steffan owning both the Swaros and the Leicas! That is one great combination.

Regards,

Bascar

Bascar[/QUOTE]
"However, when I tried out the 8x32 I decided I wanted a wider FOV than they provided and anyway found that they were too small for my hands. I therefore tried the 8.5x42s again."

I'm puzzled cause you suggest the 8.5 x 42 EL has a wider field of view than the 8 x 32 EL - unless my reading ability is shot the Swarovski blurb suggests otherwise......also, the closest focus on 32mms is less than their big brother. Yes the 42s are fantastic, I had a pair till the focusing packed up a couple of years ago. However, like most owners of high end optics, I'm sure you'll have immense pleasure using them.

Last edited:
I have two 8x32 and one 8.5x42 EL's. I found that the 8x32 is a smaller, lighter, has a wider field of view, and is more ergonomically friendly. The optics are almost identical.

Congrat's on your new Bin!

I'm an unabashed Leica fan (I think the 7x42 Ultravid is the finest bin I've ever peered through) but in the case of an 8x42 I like the Swaro 8.5x42 better than the Ultravid 8x42. With the 8x32's the reverse is the case. Every Mfg seemingly has a couple of bins they seem to build better than anyone else and in the case oif Swarovski I think the 8.5x42 is theirs... It's a wonderful bin!

You are of course right, Pyrtle, and I stand corrected! But a little explanation is in order. I in fact looked at the 10x32 EL at the same time as the 8x32 EL and it was the image of the former I had in mind when writing my post. I started off by mentioning this but then thought I wouldn’t complicate matters too much in the telling of my simple tale, so deleted the reference to the 10x32s, forgetting that the reference to the FOV didn’t apply to the 8x32s. I have to say I didn’t take to the 10x32s at all, and the FOV on the 10x42 EL, which I also tried, was far too narrow for my tastes – in addition to which I had difficulty keeping them still. I didn’t really have anything substantial against the 8x32s – I would be very happy with them as a second pair – but I was buying a main pair and I did find them a bit small in my hands and, rightly or wrongly, didn’t think they were worth the money. When I tried the 8.5x42s there was just no contest, to my mind.

When I can afford it, I would love to have the 7x42 ultravids as a companion to the ELs. I was told by the Leica salesman, and have seen it mentioned in many of the Leica threads in the forum, that one of the great qualities of this glass is its performance in low light. Can anyone tell me – Brad perhaps - how much better the 7x42s are than the 8.5x ELs in this regard?

mikebidwell said:
Hi there Kristin W

How are your new bins??

I just thought I'd share a minor problem which whilst it's been covered in a previous thread might be of some interest. After just a couple of outings I notice that the 'plastic strap retaining covers' are cracking.

Earlier this evening I fired off a couple of e-mails to Swarovski at Absom and here in the UK, having a dig about the lack of quality on both the 'new strap and the 'wash bag' :scribe:

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

All the best

Hi Kristin

This is just an update on the above posting. Following my e-mails I received a phone call from Swarovski UK, regarding my comments. I was told that there was a new strap being produced and they would send me one when they received them. Regarding the case there was a new design due out but that it would be chargeable, but at that time they didn't know what it would cost. I was also told that two 'new' plastic strap retaining covers were in the post to me. These arrived the next morning. :clap:

I have now recived a new strap and you can see that it has been modified, I will try that out today. As far as the 'washbag' is concerned, I see on the Swarovski website, that the latest EL's ( with the easy clean lens coating ) are shown with the new 'Functional case'. I'm not sure if that is available yet here in the UK or even from the look of it if I would buy one, but apparently it will cost somewhere in the region of £30 GBP

So far I can't fault Swarovski UK for their service.

Best wishes

Sawarovski 8.5 ELs

Kristin W. said:

Kristin Wilkinson
Hi, after much prevarication and testing I have also joined the ranks of Swarovski owners. I had previously used a pair of Opticron 10 x 42 PC AGs and were very happy with them until I needed to wear glasses on a daily basis. I liked the fold down rubber eyecups and could press my eyes as far into them as felt comfortable but using them with glasses meant folding them flat and then I couldn't get perfect focus. I also have a pair of 8 x 20 Leica Ultravids which I always carry when walking my dogs. For such tiny bins they are absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend them too highly, however, I wanted a pair of full size bins to replace my Opticrons and had always liked the Swarovskis after looking through a friends pair (10 x 42 EL) and I always tried them out at 'open days' etc. When it was time to part with my hard earned cash though I decided to check out the rest of the market offerings - Opticron DBAs, Leica Ultravid, Nikon and more recently Zeiss FL. All were good although I didn't agree with all the hype about the FLs - very bright image but they felt all wrong in my hands and again contrary to everything I'd read I found it hard to get focus whilst wearing glasses - back to the Swarovskis - I thought I'd go for the 10 x 42 EL but once I'd compared them to the 8.5 x 42 there was no contest. I was bowled over by the amazingly bright punchy image and wider field of view - yet still I prevaricated - should I wait and see what the new coatings are like etc etc but common sense prevailed, with a 12% price increase on the next delivery and, (I reasoned to myself ) - how much better can they really get at £100.00 more ...........?? Anyway, I bought them and am still amazed every time I look through them. No doubt this euphoria will soon wear off and I'll take them for granted but until them - whoopee .... One downside though, with the enormous price tag you would think that Swarovski would provide somthing better that the soap bag that comes with them.

Kato

kato1 said:
One downside though, with the enormous price tag you would think that Swarovski would provide somthing better that the soap bag that comes with them.

Kato

Look at it from a different angle. If you have a bucket of money to spend on binoculars, just get yourself whichever bag you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back