• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this an ex-deer? (1 Viewer)

Yelvertoft

Rabbit Fan
Hello,

I was out walking in some broad leaved woodland today when I came across these remains. We have a lower jawbone, pelvis and rear legs, shoulder blade and forelegs. Ribcage was nearby but difficult to photograph because of the undergrowth.

I was wondering what it was. The leatherman tool is shown in a couple of the pictures to give a sense of scale. The graduations on the top are in cm.

Way too big for rabbit, too bit for hare I thought, and wrong shape teeth? Bit too big for fox, I wondered if it had been a small deer? There were deer in the woods, we saw a couple (of live ones) running away, as you do.

Any other ideas or confirmation?

Regards,

Duncan

Attachments

• jawbone and foreleg.jpg
    jawbone and foreleg.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 190
  • jawbone with scale.jpg
    jawbone with scale.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 182
  • pelvis and rear legs.jpg
    pelvis and rear legs.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 169
  • shoulder blade.jpg
    shoulder blade.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 171
Hi Duncan

Yes, almost certainly a deer. The lower jaw clinches most of the id - it is way too big for rabbit or hare, not a fox because they would have canine teeth and your jaw shows a gap (diastema) between the front incisors and the back premolars. It is the classic shape of a herbivore.

The photo of the leg also supports the id - deer have very long metacarpals (the bones in our wrist) and I think you can just see that the leg ends in small hooves.

[I teach the skeleton to vet students so I know my way around the bones quite well]

Pete

Muntjac would certainly fit for size. The Handbook of British Mammals gives the length of muntjac mandibles as 123-135mm for males and 122-133mm for females. The other possibility would be roe deer, 127-148. I wouldn't know how to separate them on these bones.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back