• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plants for Swallow birds (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

Plants for Swallow birds, anybody know of any plans for tree swallow's or violet green swallow's? thanks. that would attract them or they would eat out of?

Swallows eat flying insects pretty much exclusively, so I don't think you can attract them to feeders. I know that barns swallows in the suburbs in the East follow lawn mowers (because the bugs fly up out of the cut grass) and will show up when you start up your mower.

Tree swallows will nest in bluebird boxes. A birdbath with a mister might get their attention, too.

Abbygirl said:
Plants for Swallow birds, anybody know of any plans for tree swallow's or violet green swallow's? thanks. that would attract them or they would eat out of?

The Violet-Green Swallow seems to live entirely on insects taken on the wing. An examination of 67 stomachs in 1907 founds mostly leafhoppers, flies, flying ants, wasps, wild bees, and beetles.

The Tree Swallow is similar in its eating habits, but food habits differ somewhat from other American swallows in that it will eat berries or seeds, mainly bayberry or waxberry (Myrica carolinensis). Swallows will resort to those during cold or rainy weather when insects may be hunkered down. By planting Bayberry you could certainly help them to survive, as swallows can perish during prolonged cold weather. Tree Swallows seem to prefer nesting near water, whether it be a lake or pond. They're one of my favorite birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back