• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damsel Fly coupling (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

Round at mum and dads today and luckily I had my camera with me. I saw many coupled and un-coupled damselflies (all the same colour so all the same species?) at the pond, some laying eggs. I was taken by their grace and beauty and their alertness! It took many goes to get a half decent shot of them. One I have entered in the June Competion, the other is here.

What species are they anyone. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• damsel.jpg
    damsel.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 247
Hi, Steve

I think these are Large Reds, but I'm sure one of the experts will correct me if I'm wrong (I need to get a good insect field guide, anyone got any recommendations?). It's amazing how the male balances from his tail end.

Well done for capturing this they are tricky beggars to photograph. I went for a 30 mile cycle ride this afternoon coming back via the tow path along the Cam. Saw large numbers of a dark winged species which I think were Demoiselle Agrion.

Paul

Anyone confirm this Damselfly species. I took the picture in June of this Summer.

Cheers for your possible ident too Paul.

Thanks.

Hi steve_nova,
Assuming you saw these in Northumberland or Durham they are without doubt P.nymphula, they're the only red and black coloured Damselflies which occur in either county. One of the commonest of the Damselflies locally.
Harry Eales. British Dragonfly Society County Recorder for Northumberland and Durham.

Elizabeth, I think they are azure damsels. They were certainly common on our garden pond.
The details are not 100% clear, on my pc at least, but they don't look quite right for common blue--which avoided our garden even though they were common in the area!
I'm interested to read that Harry is the Odonata recorder for Northumberland and Durham. We've got at least one other county recorder in BirdForum... it's great to be able to call on experts when needed!

Hello Elizabeth,
Your pictures could be either Common Blue Damselfly or Azure Damselfly. The critical points of identification cannot unfortunately, be clearly seen. The males of the species are the easiest to identify.

In both your photographs the male is the uppermost insect. The upperside of the second abdominal segment in males have a distinctive mark which makes positive identification relatively simple in these two species.

In Common Blue Damselfly this takes the form of a black 'full stop' or mushroom shaped mark on a short stalk.

In Azure Damselfly the mark is a squared off 'U' shape rather like the outline of a whiskey glass.

The colour of specimens can vary considerably in immature (teneral) insects, although the critical markings on the abdomen and thorax should still be visible. The true colouring is only seen in fully mature specimens.

Females are somewhat more difficult to identify and often a lens is required to see critical markings.

Both species mentioned are widespread and common in most parts of Britain and both will breed in garden ponds.

There are several other blue and black Damselfly species, but most of these have a more restricted or local distribution and are unlikely to be found in garden ponds.

If you have additional photographs of these insects have a look to see if the markings mentioned above can be seen. Ideally these species should be photographed from directly above, but even this is not always successful, as the wings can abscure the critical markings.

Sorry I can't be more positive as to what species you saw, thats why I habitually use a net and a lens when out recording. To paraphrase an old saying, "An insect in the hand is worth two in the photograph." At least when it comes to accurate identification.
Regards,

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back