• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Stack, Anglesey (1 Viewer)

Any time from now through to June I'd say. The auks will be beginning to settle soon, they come and go a bit when they first return.

Earlier and there is always a chance of an interesting migrant or two, later the resident birds are usually well set.

Great birds, dramatic scenery - fantastic destination - enjoy!

I have always visited between early to mid june and have never been disappointed.

A stunning habitat with breathtaking views plus birds at binocular & naked eye distances - I really recommend a visit.

I have heard that the South Stack area is a reliable place to see Chough. Is this still true and if so where is the best place to find them?

Regards

Dave

DJW said:
I have heard that the South Stack area is a reliable place to see Chough. Is this still true and if so where is the best place to find them?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Went to South Stack last june and the chough's were in the fields around the Cafe and on the path to the lighthouse, one of the easiest ticks I've ever had!

Regards

paul

paul goode said:
Hi Dave,

Went to South Stack last june and the chough's were in the fields around the Cafe and on the path to the lighthouse, one of the easiest ticks I've ever had!

Regards

paul

Thanks for that. I will definitely make the effort to go there in the next few weeks.

By the way Paul there are some pretty impressive photos in your gallery.

Regards

Dave

DJW said:

Regards

Dave

Very reliable they are flying about now. By the RSPB visitor centre is a good place to see them.

Hi i am going to N Wales at the end of May and I am thinking of going to South Stack but I have got convince my parents to take me. What birds am I likley to see.

Thanks
Sam

As you live in north wales, it's easy to go whenever you want. don't forget to go to cemlyn for the terns and the Celtic gatway bridge in holyhead (accessed from the railway, stenaline area of the port, town centre)

Will you be there week of 02/07 Paul? If so we might see you.

Do you have a shaved head & DM's and have you forgiven Hull City yet for nicking the 3rd div championship in 1966? ;)

Hi there. I was there about 4 weeks ago, I was easy to spot as I was the bloke who looked like Brad Pitt.
It's a fantastic place, there should be loads of chicks about now, and lost of Puffins. Try and get to the harbour for the Black Guillemots and the nesting Terns at Cemlyn Bay - they were stunning.
Choughs will be easy to spot, and look out for merlins.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back