:cool:

(east coast of Norfolk, btw)

matt green
Tuesday 2nd May 2006, 22:15
... arrived today. Lots of them.

good, time for the shorts & sunglasses

:cool:

(east coast of Norfolk, btw)

one of them came my way this afternoon,thirty odd miles inland south norfolk!

matt

Steve G
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 11:29
First one up here in West Fife yesterday. Sun is shining today & there are now about a dozen over the village today. They are earlier this year than last year!

Bish
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 12:28
1st few here yesterday, many more today

Regards Bish. :t:

The Raptor
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 13:00
A few have been spotted here today in North Bristol. I always think that summer & warmer weather are here when the swifts arrive.

Andrew Whitehouse
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 14:20
Two yesterday evening in Aberdeen (I think one was reported at the weekend here as well). Great to have them back.

tom mckinney
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 14:49
First of the year on Saturday in south Manchester and 5+ this morning.

London Birder
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 14:53
100+ visible from my kitchen window as I type this

Richard D
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 16:02
Finally seen them in Canterbury - flying very high.

Nick Elliston
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 16:44
Saw first ones in Norwich yesterday.

White*Kite
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:05
Saw my first ones today - I heard a familiar screaming call, and opened the back door to find a group of them wheeling about over the back garden. For the past 5 years a pair have nested in the roof of the house opposite, so I'm hoping it'll be the same again this year.

Pluvius
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:17
I was at the quoile pondage today near Downpatrick and I stopped counting swifts after I had reached a hundred probably twice as many. Extremely windy and they were flying quite low.

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

dan pointon
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 17:25
Had my first on the 22nd, but only significant numbers seem to have arrived yesterday, with 20+ screaming around above my school.

Eliter7
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 18:12
Lots appeared today in NW London aswell which my first local sight this year.

Ronayne88
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 19:42
Plenty here in Ireland too at the mo. Had six out the back garden lastnight. Was on the pc and heard the screams with the window closed! Ran out and had six overhead. Had one right overhead in college too today. Hehe, i saw Alpine sift before common this year! That's cool. I like it :D

Original PaulE
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 20:34
having read this thread earlier i went down to our local colony this evening there were none there on monday but tonight there were over 40 hurling themselves around the sky wonderful sight

deborah4
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 21:09
They're back!

Sightings in dribs and drabs around Sussex for a several weeks now, but this evening 3 pairs chucking themselves about above the house - I'd like to think its the same group from last year - could just about hear them above the herring gulls and great tits! :bounce:

Popped down to seafront to check out if there were any more but just saw about 150 starling going to roost and more HGs - lovely sunset though.

Sue Wright
Thursday 4th May 2006, 01:19
Here in Somerset too! Lovely to be drawn to their presence first with the screams then to see 6 of them flying through, then back again and so forth was fantastic!

Time to stop working and keep eyes skywards!

Thursday 4th May 2006, 11:22
Mine returned Tuesday evening, four of them, same date as last year. My daughter lives in Lancaster and she noticed hers yesterday morning and there were a few around in Bowness last night.
Looks like they got the same bus! Great to have them back.

sulo
Thursday 4th May 2006, 11:43
First ones seen this morning (4th May) in Southport town centre.Wonderful sight.Bird migration has to be one of the most brilliant things on this planet.

The Raptor
Thursday 4th May 2006, 14:11
Bird migration has to be one of the most brilliant things on this planet.

Agree totally with that sulo. Rod.

SiG
Thursday 4th May 2006, 16:57
First ones seen this morning (4th May) in Southport town centre.Wonderful sight.Bird migration has to be one of the most brilliant things on this planet.

Saw my first pair of the year on Sunday last at Marshside, just after the hailstorm and force 6 onshore "breeze" !

London Birder
Thursday 4th May 2006, 17:00

I'll buy that ...

joannec
Thursday 4th May 2006, 17:22
The most amazing birds! "Ours" started arriving this morning in Sussex.

Collster
Thursday 4th May 2006, 19:35
Plenty back here too and some sun

Gill Osborne
Friday 5th May 2006, 08:19
Had my first one on Monday 1st and yesterday, Thursday 4th, they are back in Alnwick in droves!

Alnwick is once more resonating to the glorious summer sound of the Devil Birds' screaming! HEAVEN!!! :t:

Collster
Sunday 14th May 2006, 19:08
Good few more swifts arrived late friday afternoon