• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus (1 Viewer)

tom tams

Hi.
Has anyone any up to date information for birding sites in Cyprus.
Would also like to see the endemic species.
Travelling this sunday.

Thanks

Tom

tom tams said:
Hi.
Has anyone any up to date information for birding sites in Cyprus.
Would also like to see the endemic species.
Travelling this sunday.

Thanks

Tom
Northern Cyprus or south Tom?

Hi Bob,

Landing at Paphos Airport, Allocated on arrival , it was a last minute deal. But will be hiring a car to tour the island.

Tom

bobwoodcock said:
Northern Cyprus or south Tom?

tom tams said:
Hi Bob,

Landing at Paphos Airport, Allocated on arrival , it was a last minute deal. But will be hiring a car to tour the island.

Tom
Tom you could start off with Paphos forest and around the vineyards,then up to the Troodos mountains,maybe Kensington cliffs at Episkopi and perhaps Akrotiri salt lake then on to Phasouri reed beds,you just need a pretty good map,if you are going into the north let me know for more sites,also there are lots of reports around on Cyprus

Hi Tom,

I've visited Cyrpus twice, once in August and once in October/November, and it's one hell of a place to bird, particularly in the time you're going, as far as I know.

The sites I would reccommend are:

Aknha Dam: On the east side of the island this has got to be one of the best places to go. Spur Winged Plover is guaranteed, and theres loads of herons, egrets and waders on the shores of the res. It's also a raptor, pipit and wagtail hotspot, and also good for warblers particularly Great Reed Warbler, I had a White Pelican here.

Askepremos Dam: Really near to Paphos, and a cracking site in the spring. Should yield plenty of crakes and other wildfowl, etc, as well as Little Bittern and the surrounding slopes are good for warblers. The back of the reservoir that this dam holds is also a very good site, there's a small ruined village, and the area around here has lots of falcons, Cream Coloured Courser, Pied Kingfisher, Bonelli's Eagle and Eleonora's Falcons.

Paphos Headland: Another site near to you, a walk round the headland always yields plenty of migrants, as well as good numbers of sea birds etc. Birds such as Richard's Pipits, Izzy Wheatear and Bluethroat are around, so a good area to check for passerines.

Kensington Cliffs: Guaranteed Griffon Vulture and Eleonoras here; also a good site for Cyrpus Warbler.

Phassouri Reedbeds and Akrotiri Salt Lake: Another superb site, the reedbeds here are amazingly good for herons, waders, crakes and the like, and thus attract good numbers of raptors, and the salt lake is a ground roosting hot spot for these. Also on the salt lake is a large flock of flamingos, and a drive round this will take you past Ladies Mile, another wader hotspot.

Larnace Sewage Works: To the east of the island are Larnace Salt Lakes and the nearby sewage works pools, which can be viewed from a hide on stilts. Here there is a spectacular amount of birds, both Audouin's and Slender Billed Gull, White Pelican, waders, wildfowl, Bimaculated and Calandra Lark and all sorts of other bits.

Mandria: The fields near here are superb for pipits, and also a good area to bird in general.

Troodos Mountains: Cyrpus specialities up here, such as the Crossbills, and the tits, but also a good place for Short toed Treecreeper - a bit chilly though, don't wear shorts!

Hope this was all of some use, another good idea is to just wander around areas of unkept land, I found often the best birds were seen where I least expected to see them.

Finally, all of the above sites (with maps) are in a book called 'Birding in Cyrpus' by Arthur Stagg and Graham Hearl, I found this an essential asset whilst on the island, well worth a fiver.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Bob,

Been to the paphos area half a dozen times now. In addition to the other places, here are some more. Paphos headland, have always seen birds here, early in morning is good, should be holes somewhere in the fence around the headland so sneak in, every birder does it. Have seen hoopoe, woodchat and red backed shrike, slender billed gulls, black eared wheatear, wryneck, cyprus wheatear, richards pipit, pied and collared flycatcher and loads more. Aspro dam is also a good place. You have herons, egrets, raptors, golden orioles amongst the many birds here. Another good place for a wide range of birds is in the polis area. Take the road from polis through to latchi, go through latchi and follow the signs to neo chorio. The road will eventually turn in to a track. Along the track a little way, you should come across a small church on the right hand side. Two hundred yards before that church is a good place to spot birds. Good luck.

Johnny Fox.

tom tams said:
Trip report here.

http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/cyprus/cyprus-11/cyprus-may-2006.htm.

The few pics I did manage to take are on my website.
www.tomtamsbirdimages.co.uk

Tom
Nice reports and superb pics Tom, sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing.
Maybe yourself or another member might be able to give me some advice
Will be on holiday in Paphos in two weeks time :t: staying at the Athena Beach Hotel, just wondered if anyone knew the area?
We will not be hiring a car, is there any good birding spots in reasonable walking distance?
Will only be taking bins and DSLR so no scoping
Thanks in advance for any comments
PaulV ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back