• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

depth of field (1 Viewer)

john the joiner

Hi I thougt I had mastered this digiscoing art. but NO..another worm has appeared out of the woodwork.the dreaded [D.O.F] how can i acheive a greater D.O.F. i submitted three images for comments and replies were of the opinion focus ok.but D.O.F. SHALLOW.ANY COMMENTS MOST WELCOME.camera contax tvs scope swarovski 80 hd eyepiece 20/60 zoom.Sorry to keep asking questions Immages shot mostly f2.8 manual focus infinity.30x.regards john. see image attached.

Attachments

• 02bb.jpg
    02bb.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 01bb.jpg
    01bb.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 290
John,

Looking at the shots it looks more like distortion. In the first shot the bird is in focus and the rock it's standing on goes out of focus as it gets to the edge. You may want to check the setup you are using to attach the camera.

Drop your focal ratio dwon from f2.8.

The lower the number the shallower the DOF.

I often use f22 if Im after a really deep DOF, but of course, you will have to compensate for the lower light levels by either increasing your ISO speed, or slowing the exposure times down.

hth

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back