• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I am saddened to report.... (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
...the passing of one of our peregrine falcon babies here in Fort Wayne.

The babies have all fledged, but this one's flying skills weren't finely honed yet. On Saturday, one of the youngsters returning to the building where the nest box is located flew into the side of the building and was killed. A security guard, outside on a smoke break, heard the bird hit the building and drop 20-odd storeys to the ground.

My friend the nest box monitor picked up the body today and will be taking it to the DNR biologist tomorrow. He was unable to determine from the bands (and I don't know why) whether it was a female or male.

Oh, dear......~sigh~

Roosevelt and Liberty fledged four babies this season, 2 males and 2 females.

But even with this sad loss, they are still at a 75% success rate for the year, and we take heart from that.

Isn't it amazing how involved we get with these beautiful creatures?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back