• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon LX L 8x42 versus Monarch's 8x42! (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
To start off with the LX L's come in a much BETTER BOX! I mean why is it that Alpha binoculars always come in such a nice quality box and they even smell like they cost more. The build quality of the LX L's are much superior to the Monarch's and they appear more durabile.Tolerances are much closer and they LOOK more expensive. The focus, diopter and IPD adjustments all work better and operate smoother. The feel of the XL L's is better with it's new rubber armor feeling great in the hands. The case on the XL L's is also much superior being a nice soft leather with reinforcement in it so it is more rigid. The lining inside is nicer also and it snaps shut with a magnetic clasps like a Gucci purse or something. Way superior to the generic nylon slightly padded case that comes with the Monarch and again moe expensive looking. The objective covers on the LX L also seem of higher quality rubber and they fit the objectives without falling off like they do on the Monarchs. The rainguards again on the LX L also are better rubber and appear to be higher quality. You also get a little better strap on the LX L's. Now on to the binoculars themselves.
The LX L has a wider FOV, it has a larger sweet spot, and it is incredibly sharp to the edge. The resolution or sharpness in the sweetspot is also better on the LX L. A big difference is the superior depth of field on the LX L versus the Monarch. The LX L is beautiful when you look at say a forest of trees that are at varying distances from you and they are all in focus. I noticed this superior feature in all alpha binoculars including the Swarovski's and the Zeiss FL's. The LX L also has better contrast than the Monarch's and I believe they are a little brighter. There is not as much CA in the LX L either.
The Monarch's though for some reason have easier eye placement without as much blackouting as the LX L's. I am not sure why this is because the eye relief on both is about the same.
Overall I would put the Nikon LX L's on par with the Swarovski's and the Zeiss FL's and for alot less money. They are excellent binoculars.

Dennis

Last edited:
The Monarch's though for some reason have easier eye placement without as much blackouting as the LX L's. I am not sure why this is because the eye relief on both is about the same.

Do not pay attention to the listed eye relief for these bins. The LX model has more than the Monarch and it is immediately noticeable if you try to put both up to your face with the eye cups in the fully collapsed position.

Your experience comparing the two mirrors everyone elses' at this point Dennis. The interesting part though is how favorably the Monarch does compare with the LX despite the huge price difference. The LX has more refinements in the image and is more durable overall but the Monarch does a pretty nice job considering it is about 1/4 the cost.

I would be interested to hear how you compare the LX to the FL despite the differences in magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back