• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Inova X5 or XO torches any good for nocturnal birding? (1 Viewer)

JCL

Apologies for putting a non-sound recording post on this section, but I couldn't see where it would fit.

I have been using Maglites for years on night walks (for owls, nightjars, mammals etc). I've recently seen advertised the Inova range of torches. Their spec is impressive - tiny size, but very powerful, being reputedly highly usable at 40m (Inova X5) and 70 m (XO).

In theory, then, Inova torches would be a boon for night work while travelling light. But does anyone have any field experience of them? Is the reality as good as the theory?

James

Bill Atwood said:
Are you looking for a spotlight, or just something to light the path?
l]

Bill

Definitely a spotlight (I have a petzl headtorch for lighting the path). I'll check out your URL, for which thanks.

James

The Magcharger is 3D size, runs about $100 US and puts out alot more light than the regular mags. Replacing th stock bulb with a Welch-Allyn 1160 substantiall increases its performance, although runtime gets down to about an hour.

They guys at candlepower do some wicked mag mods, but most are not user friendly and u probably should have a fair understanding of electricity before getting a big mod. They can get expensive also. I almost burned down a lodge in SA with one.

JCL said:
Apologies for putting a non-sound recording post on this section, but I couldn't see where it would fit.

I have been using Maglites for years on night walks (for owls, nightjars, mammals etc). I've recently seen advertised the Inova range of torches. Their spec is impressive - tiny size, but very powerful, being reputedly highly usable at 40m (Inova X5) and 70 m (XO).

In theory, then, Inova torches would be a boon for night work while travelling light. But does anyone have any field experience of them? Is the reality as good as the theory?

James
We are told not to stare into LED torches - so the idea of pointing one directly at a flying bird might not be the best of ideas. What do you think?

JCL said:

James

Don't know about these but when I looked into torches I bought a Princeton Tec surge which is a diving torch - but can be used out of water - which has an amazing amount of power for it's tiny size. I used it for spotlighting in Peru and it was ideal, until the bulb blew when I changed the batteries and I didn't have a spare!

Steve

Steve Babbs said:
Don't know about these but when I looked into torches I bought a Princeton Tec surge which is a diving torch - but can be used out of water - which has an amazing amount of power for it's tiny size. I used it for spotlighting in Peru and it was ideal, until the bulb blew when I changed the batteries and I didn't have a spare!

Steve
Steve

Which princeton tec was it? The Impact XL, Impact 2 - or one of the bigger (pricier) ones?

James

His message said the Surge.

It's an OK light. Takes 8AAs and is pretty bright. Changing the batts is tricky and the lens is plastic and scratches easily.

Bill Atwood said:
His message said the Surge.

It's an OK light. Takes 8AAs and is pretty bright. Changing the batts is tricky and the lens is plastic and scratches easily.

It's not just me then, yes changing the batteries is very fiddly probably best not to do it in the middle of a pitch black rainforest.

Hello. I own a Inova X5, and it is light and, compared to a 2D Maglite, is produces more light. It uses CR123 lithium batteries that are quite expensive. I also have a Surefire Lumamax L2. The power is amazing, but at full power (it has two light levels) batteries don't last more than an hour, and again CR123 batteries.

If you want a quite light, small and brilliant torch, I suggest you to take a look to LedLenser torches. I have a LedLenser V2, which is smaller than the Inova X5, it does include a rechargeable battery and a charger. Battery life is very good, and you can alwais recharge the battery. And best of all, it is cheaper than the inova, and of course the Surefire.

There are other options in ledlenser's catalog, with torches based on AA and AAA batteries.

Of course I have no commercial interest on Ledlenser products.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back