• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duovid bargain??? (1 Viewer)

Definately a scam, look at the other feedback he's got to get him up to ten, all from zero rated bidders, probably set up by himself to give him a fake feedback rating. Also, the 'items' he's sold or won are full of wierd characters. Steer well clear, I'd put money on that being a scam.

sammyboy said:
Definately a scam, look at the other feedback he's got to get him up to ten, all from zero rated bidders, probably set up by himself to give him a fake feedback rating. Also, the 'items' he's sold or won are full of wierd characters. Steer well clear, I'd put money on that being a scam.

Craig, just send me $20. It will be much cheaper than trying to buy those binoculars.

Pretty much what I thought then. I've always steered well clear of buying from ebay because of this type of thing, but I just cant help searching the site 'just to see'. Pity I suppose, a nice pair of duovids would have gone well in the binocular collection.

I wonder how many people do get stung? There were at least two other Leica items by the same seller.

Thanks for the advice.

I've also seen a few listings from what are pretty obviously hijacked accounts selling Swaro bins, easy way to tell them is if the hijacker has put in a really obvious place an alternative email address to email queries to, and this particular one made the bidder list private so you couldn't contact the potential buyers to tell them they're about to get scammed! :stuck:

I've bought and sold a few items through Ebay without any problems what so ever - like any other type of market place, you just have to exercise some care.

Check the feedback carefully, check previous listings and also check closed auctions for the same item - there is a tendency in China and elsewhere to copy closed succesful auctions using exactly the same pictures and description - again these are easy to spot.

If you are planning on selling, don't sell to Nigeria (sorry to genuine Nigerian users - but every contact I've ever had from a Nigerian based buyer has been fake), and don't post items to "an uncle" in East Europe or Nigeria, only to verified addresses.

Finally, look for bargains -they are out there, but "too good to be true" items are likely to be just that!

Sammyboy,
I,ve noticed those Swaro auctions too over the last month or so. All using what very much looks like 'hijacked' accounts.....feedback is always 100% and previous transactions are always cheap items....all these auctions have the same email address to contact before bidding for 'buy it now price'.

Out of curiosity, I've actually sent the 'seller' (ie, the ebay member, not the contact me dude) a question through the proper ebay channels on a couple of occassions......and got a response each time from ebay advising that I should procede with caution, it's not safe to buy outside ebay, don't give out personal details, etc....

So, there's obviously a flag popping up somewhere in the ebay empire that clearly knows that this is a dodgy auction/seller.....but are they doing anything serious about it ? Just seems like a token gesture from ebay to cover their backsides.

At best this type of 'auction' is an advert, rather than an auction, inviting you to deal direct with the 'seller' outside the confines of ebay.....but who am I kidding ???

Same goes for the Leica auctions.....I think China has become THE location of choice for ebay scammers of late.....I dismiss anything selling from China or Russia, simple as that!

Still, it's hard not to trawl ebay looking for that unpassable bargain.....guilty as charged!!

Cheers,

Mook.

Yes, I spend more time than is healthy browsing ebay! You do learn to know what to look for in an auction, if it's legit or not. I've done a lot of buying and selling on Ebay without any problems (apart from a couple of non-paying bidders and someone who didn't send me a phone I'd paid for, got my money back though). Just use your common sense, as Rob says.

One other thing, if you get one of those emails asking you to click on the link in the email to sign in to 'validate your account' it's a phishing email set up by scammers, never reply to it or click any links. I did once when these scams first started, and before I knew it my account and email account were hijacked and a motorcycle was for sale on my account!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back