• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50-500mm vs 300mm w/TC (1 Viewer)

pdhfish

I'm in the market for a new lens for bird photography. And I'm stuck on a choice.

Bigma 50-500mm/Tamron 200-500mm...These seem reviewed well.

Or

Sigma 100-300mm with a 1.4x and a 2.0x TC. Anyone used the Sigma 100-300mm with a 2.0 TC...

Any thoughts to help me make my choice?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Hello and welcome to BF...

I have the 100-300 f4 and really like it, it performs very well with a 1.4x tc and quite well with a 2x, though on most cameras it will not AF with a 2x tc. One of the big advantages of the lens is the f4, so in low light you can take the tc's of and get decent shutter speeds, though you won't have as much reach. I use this lens as a compliment to my 500mm as it's nice for fast movers (esp in woodland) and also for those odd birds that let you get up close.

That said if I were you I'd look at one of the big zooms... with birds you almost always want more reach so a lens that with AF at 500mm is nice to have (300mm & 1.4x tc only gives you 420mm). Best advice is (if you can) get to a shop and try them yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply! So do you get clear images with the 100-300mm with the 2.0x TC? Or do you notice softness? What 500mm lens do you use?

Thanks,
Pat

There is a bit of softness to them (though to be honest I've only tried it a few times and not in the best of condition), certainly not as sharp as the lens on it's own. I should add that the lens is a bit soft wide open, you need to stop down a bit to get the best out of it. Another member (SeanKP) also has the 100-300 f4 and has some earlier shots in his gallery taken with it and a 2x tc. Here's a link to some of his shots, some with just the lens, some with a tc... http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery...00&what=allfields&name=seankp&when=&whenterm=

I use the Sigma 500mm f4.5 prime as my main birding lens, it's a cracking lens, it's sharp wide open and works very well with a 1.4x tc. But it's significantly bigger, heavier and more expensive than the two zooms you're looking at.

Last edited:
Hi Pat,

I agree with Peter that going for a 500mm of some description is a good idea for birding photography. And then if you stick a TC on a 500mm it becomes a really long lens (probably not easy to use though!)

Of the two zooms you mention both get good write-ups and equally have their detractors. I use the Bigma and have been very pleased with the images it has produced through the murk of an english winter. Checkout DOC's gallery for examples of the Tamron, admittedly used in sunnier climes.

From comments on this forum a number of people don't like the weight of the Bigma while others question the AF speed of the Tamron so you really need to get your hands on them to see what suits you.

Hope that helps

Paul

paul goode said:
From comments on this forum a number of people don't like the weight of the Bigma
Paul

Wimps ;)

I actually like the weight of the Bigma as I feel it gives you that extra stability when hand holding (as I am finding most of photos are). Though I must admit when combined with my Leica APO77 and Manfrotto scaffolding it can be a bit much!

Thanks for the feedback..Looking at the galleries and positive feedback...I think I'm going to get the bigma!! Thanks again everyone!!

Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back