• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mandarin Duck (1 Viewer)

MLQ

Here is my "M" entry for the A-Z Birds of the World Challenge. 4" x 6" watercolour. Critique welcome!

Attachments

• Mandarin-Duck.jpg
    Mandarin-Duck.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Thanks very much!

Yes, each week we do a bird for that week's letter. Should be done by the end of August! (Perhaps I should have remembered that 26 weeks is half a year, before I signed up! Just kidding -- I'm having fun, and hope to be more proficient at doing birds by then.)

That's because your paintings are gorgeous! Just had a look at your site. BTW, you can make your url a clickable link, but I've forgotten how!

Those of us in this challenge are only doing tiny paintings, either postcard size (4" x 6") or ACEO size (2.5 x 3.5"). If I were doing a proper full-sized painting of a bird every week, I'd never get done either!

I saw your page of robins on your site. Your robins are definitely cuter...ours are actually thrushes. They can be pretty bold, though! I remember a few years ago, on that TV show "America's Funniest Home Videos" there was footage of a robin who was ticked off at a cat for being too near its nest, and nailed the cat in the rear. The cat did a complete somersault!

Have you checked out www.wetcanvas.com? We have quite a few members from the UK. It's a great site, and one that I'm learning a lot from! The watercolour gallery is where you'll find our "A-Z Birds of the World challenge" postings. Our new ones go on every Wednesday morning. We are divided into 4 groups, so for some fun, check us all out. The reason I like this site is that we have members of all levels of expertise & experience, from absolute beginners to professionals. Something for all of us to learn!

Thanks very much!
I've had no training at all and really did sort of blunder my way in. A fair few of them are snaffled by my wife, so I'll never make a living from it...
I didn't realise the painting were that size, I thought they were all bigger!
The European robin is also a thrush, which came as a surprise to me when I found out and they can be really tame at times in the UK, although they're much more shy on the continent. I had one perch on my boot when I was woodworking and it collecting up shavings as they fell.
As for thrushes attacking cats, the (common) blackbirds in the garden got a bit annoyed with our cat snooping around and chased him into the house. Dad was in the hallway when this very scared cat came haring in, followed by a very irate blackbird which came right up the hall.
I'm half-way through painting the carrion crow on the website, then it's onto the ducks.
I'll have a look at the site - thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back