• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

victory build quality? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I recall reading some posts about one or two build quality issues concerning the recent victory fl models,havent heard any complaints about popping focus
wheels so maybe this means zeiss has fixed the problem?

spoke to a chap recently who let me peep through his old ziess model 7x42,
can't quite remember what the model is called but the field of view and depth
of focus was phenominal.wish i purchased these when warehous ex had them at £599,unfortunately the model is no longer made.

the current model victory (7x42) has a huge 150@1000m and 2m close focus!

these sound like fun

matt

If you're referring to the diopter position then, yes, the focus wheel moves there with little effort, although I don't suffer the problem with my usage. The build quality and handling of the 7x42FL is quite satisfying. |=)| As you surmise, the close focus and generous FOV are groovy, and go a long way to countering the other optical issues (small sweet spot, pincushion distortion).

7x rules!

Last edited:
I don't think that there are quality issues with Zeiss. But note that several folks who performed resolution tests on these found that there where differences between barrels (Kimmo Absetz), some dude in Australia kept finding fingerprints in them and ended up buying an Ultravid, and Henry Link needed 4 samples until he was happy with one. I went through 2 samples of 10x42 FL and was unhappy every time; i don't know why, the image was not what it should have been for some reason. I got an EL 10x42 instead.
I have a FL 8x42, and it is ok. I will sell it not because there is a problem with it, but because i have too many binoculars and because there are others that i like more.
As always, try before you buy and make an informed decission. The Trinovid, Ultravid, Swaro SLC, Zeiss FL, are all great 7x42's. I preferred the Ultravid, but you may like another.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back