• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this snake please? (1 Viewer)

scary-canary

Canaries forever... and i'm not always scary, some
Can anyone tell me what this snake is? I saw several like it at my holiday house in France. I don't believe it is poisonous, but would welcome any information about poisonous snakes in the same area - near Tours on the Loire Valley. Thanks.
Chris

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 332
  • snakehead.jpg
    snakehead.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 315
Very scary when it slides out of a hole at your feet as your having a cup of tea. And agressive when you disturb it with a lawnmower.
Not popular with my wife either or our four-year-old daughter.

scary-canary said:
Not popular with my wife either or our four-year-old daughter.

Really!? My observation is that children have little natural fear of snakes. Of course, if adults go off the deep-end, then the kids will pick that up.

Curtis Croulet said:
Really!? My observation is that children have little natural fear of snakes. Of course, if adults go off the deep-end, then the kids will pick that up.

Fair point, but human nature and all that... I try and tell her that the snakes are more scared of us, but i believe a healthy wariness is important especially as there are venomous snakes in the area (adder, asp viper) and kids are likely to be the ones to stumble upon them - hands down holes etc.

They are not poisonous, but apparently they are ill-tempered! And a bite is not nice either. But I am jealous – never seen one!

I would like to recomend a book:"Reptiles and Amphibians of Britain & Europe" (Collins Field Guide). You have every european species described and you also have pictures.

Also, Scary-canary, I would like to recommend you this web site: http://www.reptilia-amphibia.net/

I hope you find the information usefull and (to everyone who posted before Grayboelen) stop listening to the MYTHS and TALES from people that don't have a clue about snakes. That is why a lot of people are scared and kill snakes on sight and ask questions later, which is very bad on the environment and is also ILLEGAL.

does it have slits in its eyes? if it does it is harmful (poisonious). keith
Actually, there are many, many species of harmless snakes that have vertical pupils. The presence of vertical pupils is merely an indication of nocturnal/crepuscular behavior, not whether a snake is venomous or harmless. Additionally, there are many species of highly venomous snakes that have round pupils (such as most members of the family Elapidae).

The snake in my avatar is my Rosy Boa, native to the Southwest US. They have vertical pupils, but are pretty much as harmless as snakes come.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back