• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting kite behaviour (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

Whilst drive home through the kite stonghold in North Leeds. I saw a red kite being mobbed by a crow. Nothing unusual there and kites are a daily site so carried on driving.

Anyway i carried on watching and to my amazement the kite actually swivelled in mid air and caught the crow! Now I did pull over and watched the two drop to the ground. the red kite proceeded to pluck the crow and then carried it off.

Never seen kite behaviour like this and must be unusaul given their scavenging behaviour.

I bet it's only a small matter of time before that Kite uses that method again as a successful ploy for catching prey , once something works it will learn to do it again .

Ashley

jimmy2faces said:
Whilst drive home through the kite stonghold in North Leeds. I saw a red kite being mobbed by a crow. Nothing unusual there and kites are a daily site so carried on driving.

Anyway i carried on watching and to my amazement the kite actually swivelled in mid air and caught the crow! Now I did pull over and watched the two drop to the ground. the red kite proceeded to pluck the crow and then carried it off.

Never seen kite behaviour like this and must be unusaul given their scavenging behaviour.

Amazing!

Its about time birds of prey got thier own back on those irritating mobbing corvids.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back