• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Banstead Common (1 Viewer)

siltmonkey

Hi

I'm lucky enough to live 5 mins walk from Banstead Common, a relatively small but in my view wonderful patch of chalk downland on the southern tip of Greater London, surrounded by golf courses, farmland and a prison, of all things.

Unfortunately there's no water feature nearby but there's plenty of variety in habitat. There are open fields with wild grasses and flowers aplenty, serving up a huge number of butterflies and other insects, patches of scrub and native shrubs covered in wild roses and elderflowers, emerging birch woodland, maturing sections of oak woodland dripping with ivy and vines and lovely shady spots to sit down in!

I usually go early in the morning and amble around for a couple of hours, and always see something interesting.

Yesterday, among the dragonflies and blue butterflies, seemed to be warbler city - a large number of whitethroats, blackcaps, chiffchaffs, willow warblers and garden warblers, all of whose songs mingled with song thrush and blackbird to make possibly the most beautiful bird orchestra ever. The whitethroats have reared young, and a bullfinch also made his brief presence known.

A small flock of long tailed tits danced about in some birch trees, and the regular garden suspects like blue and great tits played their usual treetop tricks. A green and great-spotted woodpecker decided to show themselves in my field of view at the same time, which was rather decent of them.

The kestrel and buzzard didn't show themselves but I was rewarded with a sighting of a vole, and I have seen rabbits, foxes and badgers there at different times.

I have also been reliably informed that woodcock often winter on the heath and lizards are to be seen sunning themselves so there is plenty more to see.

All in all, a lovely little place to watch birds and other wildlife. I doubt you'd ever see a lesser-undulated three-toed garganule or whatever, but if you're anywhere near it, it would be silly not to go. Just remember to take a sun hat!

cheers

r

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back