• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit behaviour.Meadow or tree? (1 Viewer)

sooseee

Keep thinking I've sorted out the difference! Confused by someone who told me meadow pipits had orangey legs, then checked and a field guide said tree pipts had pinkish legs and meadows were brown.So have been watching (on gorsey heath land with small shrubby trees) what I thought were meadow pipits soaring with a 'sree, sree sree' sort of noise, then with song increasing in tempo, a downward rapid , almost 'dive bomb' flight to the ground.Very confused!

Wouldn't rely too much on leg colour - both pinkish. Song flight can be a good indicator. Tree often dangles legs toward the end of its descent, Meadow doesn't. Tree most often lands in a tree at the end, Meadow usually on the ground or a low fence, post, bush, etc. Not failsafe but can help.

That song sounds good for Tree Pipit, sooseee - you ought to go back and spend more time studying them, it'll payoff in the long term ;)

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks, Mike, Andrew and Des.All great advice-first to try is listening to song recording will check resources here and then British Museum sound archive.Sue

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back