• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding in brittany, france (1 Viewer)

lark o'dell

today the local patch tommrow the world
hi all.
going to brittany in mid augest and was wondering weather any one here had been in the summer to brittany recently or if anyone knows any good spots to bird their.
i have already checked fatbirder but information on the sites provided is limited.
any information would be great. also any bird i should be trying to find e.g. a local rarity

Hi Andy,

I spent a couple of weeks in Brittany a few years back on a family holiday. Just look for small patches of heath (of which there are plenty) and I'm sure they'll hold some fairly decent birds, especially Dartford Warbler and Cirl Bunting. But try and head south to the salt pans at Sissables (I think that's the correct spelling!) and the excellent De Briere Reserve (a vast wetland holding a good numbers of Bluethroat, as well as other interesting species). I'm sure there will be a website somewhere giving details of De Briere - better still, someone on BF may be able to give you further details. Not sure about local rarities, although I did get Black Woodpecker near Malansac. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.

Hi andy,

I have read information on Fatbirder site and I have already visited the patches mentioned in august.

La Grande Brière : there is a nature reserve (you have to pay a bit) called Reserve Ornithologique Pierre Constant in Saint-Malo-de-Guersac. There are several hides and I remember to watch there purple heron, black stork, ducks, black kite, ruffs, Caspian tern, cetti’s warbler, red back shrike, serin…

Guérande / le Croisic : the best known place is the road going to Sissable because here there are bluethroats. But you can expect a lot more : shelducks, egrets, a lot of waders, black-necked grebs, terns… and you can do seawatch if you want in le Croisic or Piriac-sur-mer.

These places are quite south in Brittany and this region is vast : I can give you other good spots but I need to know where you want to accommodate and which part of Britanny you want to visit…

Regards

lark o'dell said:
hi all.
going to brittany in mid augest and was wondering weather any one here had been in the summer to brittany recently or if anyone knows any good spots to bird their.
i have already checked fatbirder but information on the sites provided is limited.
any information would be great. also any bird i should be trying to find e.g. a local rarity

Hang on for a week when I have my Brittany birding pall over here and she certainly knows her stuff - so will get some information for you then. There are really some super sites - from Bluethroat to Bee- eater to wafers - Black kites etc. You will certainly enjoy the visit

lark o'dell said:
thanks for the info everyone im looking foward to it just depends if i can get to any of the places.

A visit to the Forest of Paimpont, in the Ille et Vilaine, would be a good place to start. We have a wide variety here of woodland birds, including the Black Woodpecker, raptors such as Hen Harriers, Merlins (which is apt for this region!) and various European visitors. If you'd care to pm me as to what sort of accommodation you're thinking of I'd be happy to help - or any other info for that matter.

At the coast, Quiberon is always a good place for seabirds and the La Grande Briere in the south, near Guerande is a huge marshland reserve with Bitterns and Egrets and all sorts. Brittany is a very rich region for birding - also for good food and accommodation.

Last edited:
Hello lark,

I live in Brittany. Gulf of Morbihan. I agree with Paminfra - Quiberon is an excellent site - recently we have sited Dartford Warbler, Kentish Plover, Purple Sandpiper - in February, again recently - lots of Rock Pipit, Sanderling and other waders.

On the headland of Rhuys there are various stopping places - Noyalo - avocet and many other waders. Le Hezo, Duer - there are two hides here - Water rail frequently seen and plenty of waders. In the wooded area - Crested Tit. Chateau de Suscinio - depends on the day - and of course luck - but Blue Throat are virtually guaranteed, Black winged stilt, Avocet, Spoonbill and I have also had Cirl Bunting and Purple Heron, also Hoopoe - just once.

Near Lorient - Pen Mane near Locmiquelic - Again waders, Blue throats and Bearded tit.

In Baie d'Audierne - Bee-eaters and Corn Bunting are everywhere

Hope this helps - bonne chance!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back