• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kite in my garden (1 Viewer)

helenol

Hello everyone.

I would like to tell you about a magnificent sight in my garden today. Unfortunately I found a dead juvenile starling (I was looking out of the kitchen window and he literally fell from the sky right past the window!). The poor mite hit the patio with such force he was bleeding from the mouth. Could it have been a sparrowhawk that caught then dropped him?

As I couldn't bear the thought of just "putting him in the bin" I had the idea of placing him in the middle of the lawn.

The reason for this is because there is a red kite who is a daily visitor to our area and I had seen him today, so I thought it better the starling be "recycled" than be disposed of.

I watched and waited for 2 hours when I saw the red kite circling overhead. Suddenly he was chased off by 2 members of a crow family (this isn't the first time he's been chased away from the area by them).

An hour later (still looking out of the kitchen window - patience is a virtue apparently), I was rewarded with the magnificent sight of a red kite swooping down seemingly in slow motion and picking up the starling. Fantastic. All this just about 20 feet in front of me.

The other birds in my garden at the time (blackbirds/doves/finches of all types/robins etc didn't seem too bothered. Obviously they flew away when this giant swooped down but they returned almost immediately. Quite different to when there is a sparrowhawk around.

Regards
Helen

An excellent account of this amazing garden tick, Helen.
Red Kites seem to be spreading east.... I've heard of sightings in Gerrards Cross, and our beloved Bird Forum leader (Steve) regularly sees them from his abode nr Wendover. Just waiting (and praying) that they'll be over the skies of Watford very soon.
Regards,
Andy

Believe me, I was having palpitations... I almost needed a lie down! I think it calls for a bottle of the 'ol Louis Roederer.

Apparently I 've heard reports of "our" particular kite being fed in a garden here in Wycombe, not sure if it's true but he certainly spends a lot of time here, sometimes with a partner in tow.

Helen

I think we're all really jealous. I was pleased to get a view of one driving along the a4 in berkshire on Sarurday.
Me : Ooh look a Red Kite
Her: Its a bird Pete

couldn't you cry ?

If you take a photo please post it.

Pete

Helen,just found your site,re kite.Sounds good!,what a marvellous experience.It is always at times like these that one wishes one's camera had been to hand.
Thanks for the combined effort of robin and yourself finding this thread for me.
Christine.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back