• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Behaviour, Can Anyone Help? (1 Viewer)

Judo

Hi All,
Can anyone help me with what I've just seen? I will try my best to describe it:
There was a male Blackbird in what I thought was a 'sunning' posture on my grass, i.e.mouth open, crouched down, when it sort of fell over sideways, then jumped up looking what I can only describe as surprised! like someone does when they wake from a dream! went into attack posture, even though nothing was near it, then took off but kind of hovered in one place, wings flapping madly but getting nowhere, then it looked as if it tried to make it to the overhead wire but couldn't, and the last I saw of it, it sort of plummeted earthwards out of sight behind a neighbours fence! Any idea what was going on anyone?? Most strange! :h?: Hope someone can help. Thanks for reading anyway.
All the Best to All, Judo.
P.S. Now I must go and get some work done, will check back later to see what, if anything, has been suggested!

Gosh, maybe it had woken from a dream! Or maybe it was bitten by an ant or stung by a bee? I don't know if that is possible or not. Sorry not to be of more help, but I shall be interested to know what others think.

Hi Kits,
Thanks for replying. Good suggestion re ant/bee sting. Possible I suppose, we've got plenty of both!
All the Best, Judo.

Hi Judo,
The title "odd behaviour" caught my eye because yesterday seemed unusual.
I cant really add anything to Kits suggestion sorry, but I thought there was a strange atmosphere all day.

It was my day off and I was just pottering around in the house and out in the garden.
Throughout the day I kept hearing bursts of agititation from the birds, I mean real agitation, I kept going out to investigate but could see no sign of preditors.

One of the Blackbirds just would'nt calm down, he even came to the patio door as if asking for help!

I cant explain it other then saying, The atmosphere in the garden was very unusual yesterday.
By comparison, everthing is back to normal today.

I honestly dont know anything about "Full Moons" but it makes you wonder.

Bye Judo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back