• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie - adapter recommendation sought (1 Viewer)

John Fleet

Finally reached 300!
England
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this group and am looking for some adapter advice. Just been fortunate enought to pick up a mint s/h 990 for £150 :) which I'd like to use in conjunction with an Opticron DTL lens. Question is - which adapter is likely to suit? I've looked at the SRB catalogue and spoken to them today. They are pushing their Digiscoping Mount which may be great but looks a bit Heath Robinsonish.
I guess the Nikon/Opticron combination must be tried and tested by some folk so hopefully someone can speak from experience.

Hi John
Take a look around the forums I am sure there will be some recommendations from other members

Regards Stevo.

Hello John, and on behalf of all the Moderators and Admin, a big welcome to Bird Forum. You've certainly come to the right place for advice of this nature. We look forward to hearing about your birding and seeing your photos, once you get your digiscoping lit up and running.

On the subject of the SRB adapter, I tried one of these when I changed my camera recently and couldn't really get on with it so sent it back for a refund. It was very fiddly to get set up correctly and I suspect that it would be a pain to use as well.

I am set up with a home-made adapter now, but I do have an EagleEye adapter and a LCE adapter going spare, both of which were used with my previous camera, Coolpix 995. Either would fit the camera lens, if it is 28mm on the 990, but I'm not sure of the fitting of your particular eyepiece. I used both adapters with an Opticron scope with a 22xWW eyepiece. The diameter of both adapters is about 40mm, if that helps you. If you want to discuss anything about these email or PM me.

Diane
I've just measured the Opticron DTL lens and its 38mm - the design is a single constant tube - presumably made that way to simplify fitting adapters. I'd certainly be interested in having a go with either of both of your spare adapters. Would you like to pm me to discuss?

John

Welcome John,
I use a Opticron 40929DTL eye-piece and looked at the idea of the (very reasonable price) adaptor that Diane-Digi-birder uses. After realising that the dimensions did not suit, I had an adaptor made to enable me to use my Fuji S304(3800) camera to be fitted. See "Gallery>Equipment and Accesories>New Tubular Adaptor" for details. If you can(or you know someone who can) make such an adaptor, you will get exactly what you need for a reasonable price!

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back