• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with CP885 (1 Viewer)

leighjauncey

Have just got an 885 for digiscoping - My early results are ok but could be better I'm sure - anyone got any tips/settings for best results. I have the step down ring and LCE opticron adapter.

Hi Leigh, a big welcome to BF and a big apology for missing this thread for so long.
I'm not too familair with this camera but do know it is capable of excellent results (when fed a good image from a spotting scope).
Have you tried macro focus mode? Also aperture priority is a reliable exposure mode.
Regards,
Andy

Coolpix 885 & Opticron?

Thanks Andy. I have tried lots of different settings and have got some reasonable results. My main problem now is my dreadful scope - I hate to mention it in such esteemed company but it's a Summit 15-45x60 (yes I know, I'm embarrassed - I got it very cheap from a friend) - I think I've gone about as far as I can with it. With very meagre funds I was considering taking up Warehouse Express on their offer of 'buy now - pay later in instalments'. About the best I could manage would be an Opticron Imagic 80 - but which eye-piece, an HDF but 25x, 32x or 20-60x? I've seen discussions in the scopes section, but opinion seems to be divided. I've really got into digiscoping and that would almost be the primary use. The 885 is a super camera, I was using a Fuji Finepix which I bought for it's 6x optical zoom, it's good for close subjects but very limited for digiscoping. Some of my results are in the British Birds section of my website:
http://www.leighjauncey.ukonline.co.uk - some aren't bad, some are truly awful! So anyway - Opticron eyepieces anyone?

Hi Leigh,
Already had a nose through your website earlier.... very nice Stonechat photo there, no matter what the scope.
The 25x would seem like the best bet for digiscoping with the Opticron Imagic 80, though the 20-60x would probably give you higher shutter-speeds when used at 20x. I rarely recommend zoom eyepieces with scopes at this price range (in fact at most price ranges).
32x is about the optimum mag for an 80mm scope, but think it will be slightly restrictive for a lot of digiscoping situations.
Maybe we can have some input from a user of the Opticron Imagic 80?
I do keep 'banging on' about secondhand scopes (notably Kowa TSN3/4), but they are a reliable buy.
Regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back