• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on GC Grebes? (1 Viewer)

kas

Do GC Grebes migrate? As far as I am aware the nearest breeding birds are at least 100 miles away.

I found this juv (I think due to the striped face) last Friday night. I had headed to the local headland to get closer views of Rissos dolphins that were just off the headland, and found this one. It was just off the local lighthouse, totally unphased by sea anglers or the surrounding 30 Bonxies. This is a rare visitor to the North Coast as far as I am aware. Only a few records over the years.

Can anyone give info on what their migration activities normally are.

Cheers
Kas

Attachments

• GCG.jpg
    GCG.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 91
  • GCG1.jpg
    GCG1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 97
Most of the ones near me move to the bigger lakes in the Autumn (ish) time. I don't know for sure but I think many of the most Northerly ones move down towards England in the Winter.

Chris

Hi Kas

Yes a juv :t: - I think you are just north of the breeding range where you are? - Those that do breed in Scotland, as far as I know, abandon breeding sites in winter and head down to us! All year round, where I am - in fact seen 150c with young today on a resevoir (particularly known, I might add for GC Grebe!)

wrexile1 said:
Indeed - sometimes there are some incredible counts from Grafham Water, Cambs.

And some even more incredible ones fom Rutland Water: 387 there on Tuesday is not bad for July.

teve

Hi Kas,
Great Crested Grebes have been recorded occasionally in Orkney, but I can't find any breeding records from there. Not to say they haven't of course. So maybe this bird is heading south for a warmer winter, as they do. Could also be a lost bird from Scandinavia. There's been a lot of fog and easterlies recently, as you will no doubt know! Interesting record in any case, worth passing on to your local recorder.
cheers, Ken

kas said:
Do GC Grebes migrate? As far as I am aware the nearest breeding birds are at least 100 miles away.

I found this juv (I think due to the striped face) last Friday night. I had headed to the local headland to get closer views of Rissos dolphins that were just off the headland, and found this one. It was just off the local lighthouse, totally unphased by sea anglers or the surrounding 30 Bonxies. This is a rare visitor to the North Coast as far as I am aware. Only a few records over the years.

Can anyone give info on what their migration activities normally are.

Cheers
Kas

Hi Kas

I wondered about this having seen 50 or so GCG's on the sea last week at Musselburgh just east of Edinburgh. I looked up BWP for info. First of all litle is known of migration routes as few are ringed. There is some immigration into southern British waters from Holland/Denmark. Many birds make short moult movements to large lakes and resevoirs-presumably what the above posters are seeing. Movements away from nesting areas begin Jul-Aug-moulting concentrations build up on certain waters then and in Sep are joined by birds that have moulted elsewhere. 600 recorded at Chew Valley, england and 20K!!at Ijsellmeer in Holland.Usually then gradually disperse to the coast later in the year. Having said that all the birds I've seen on the sea are adults and the local GCG that hatched was still on the local loch with the parents sitting on a second set of eggs. Have you spoken to local birders about your record?

Nothern european population have to migrate due to lakes freezing over....
A lot move to Holland etc.
I am sure some would move to the UK to take advantage of the milder winter, particularily in bad winters...

markgrubb said:
Hi Kas

I wondered about this having seen 50 or so GCG's on the sea last week at Musselburgh just east of Edinburgh.

Seafield is another good place, having in the past recorded up to 4- or 500 in winter (which I've seen, but many years ago). I dont know where they come from, but their association with other more scarce grebe species (e.g. Red-necked and Slavonian) in significant numbers in the Forth probably would suggest immigration from Scandinavia and Northern Europe.

Thanks for all the info. I doubt I will never know where it has appeared from but a few theories there. It was a very welcome surprise.

Not bad considering they were down to 44 pairs at one point.
It's almost becoming hard to find a middle- to large patch of water without one, not that I'm trying!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back