• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Irish Seawatching News?? (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

That time of year now, anyboby sitting on an irish headland on a regular basis out there with any movement going on?
Have a feelin that when the fine weather breaks there could be some massive movements there...

Yes,according to our local fishermen,lots of Storm Petrels, Shearwaters,and Skuas.This is from our coast here,halfway between IOM and Cumbria ,going up to the Solway Firth.

900 Cory's past with 20 Great Shearwaters, 10 Balearic Shearwaters, 6 Poms, 60 Sooty Shearwaters, 10 Arctic Skuas and 2 Great Skuas

I was present for much of the above.
A very nice movement yesterday. Corys moving by quite close.
As well as some very close Greats.
Highlight for me yesterday was 2 very close sub adult Poms.
2nd summer and 3rd summer.
Interesting plumages.

Pariah

I think a long period of settled warm weather in June/July and into August may increase the numbers off large shears in the north Atlantic.

Then the weather breaks, hopefully, rain, south westerly strong winds. The birds then pushed towards land, often west or southwest Ireland as they exit the n. atlantic on their way south to avoid the stormy weather...

Pariah said:
900 Cory's past with 20 Great Shearwaters, 10 Balearic Shearwaters, 6 Poms, 60 Sooty Shearwaters, 10 Arctic Skuas and 2 Great Skua Pariah

Plus a Fea's down the coast - pretty slow then! 8 Wilson's off a Scilly pelagic tonight.

Wish I didn't live in NW England!!

2 fea's off bridges over the last 4 days, stunning bird, This morning we had 1 arctic, 3 bonxie, 2 poms, 2 balearic

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back