• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basking sharks - Cornwall - Help requested (1 Viewer)

Allen

I'm off to Cornwall for a family holiday tomorrow and wondered if anyone knew of reliable sites to see Basking Sharks. We're near Perranporth for the week so any advice appreciated.

Allen said:
I'm off to Cornwall for a family holiday tomorrow and wondered if anyone knew of reliable sites to see Basking Sharks. We're near Perranporth for the week so any advice appreciated.
I am often in Cornwall and used to live there and will almost guarantee that if you stand on the rocks above sennan cove you will see what you want..check out this sight.http://www.sennen-cove.com/pk.htm B :)

wurzle said:
I am often in Cornwall and used to live there and will almost guarantee that if you stand on the rocks above sennan cove you will see what you want..check out this sight.http://www.sennen-cove.com/pk.htm B :)

Wurzle

I know Sennon - when you say rocks above do you mean up the path from the overflow car park towards Lands End?

Allen said:
Wurzle

I know Sennon - when you say rocks above do you mean up the path from the overflow car park towards Lands End?
Yes or by the theatre or try here this was copied from birdwatching in west cornwall.........Sunday 9th July
Porthgwarra:- Balearic Shearwater; 4 Sooty Shearwater; Arctic Skua; 20 Storm-petrels past.
Pendeen Watch:- Cory`s Shearwater; 5 Sooty Shearwaters; 2 Balearic Shearwaters; 129 Storm-petrels; Basking Shark; 2 Ocean Sunfish

About this time last year I went on one of the trips to puffin island from padstow and saw 20+ swimming around the boat. I also saw Dolphins and Seals

Porthgwarra is reliable, used to see them there almost every time I seawatched there at this time of year.

Minack Theatre is another good site....
Often close to the shore there...

Allen,

I would also recommend Sennen where they seem to be present pretty much all summer. Have also seen them off Porthgwarra and Pendeen but much more distantly than at Sennen.

John

hi,

im just back from a holiday in Perranporth.. beautiful place. brilliant beaches,
surfing/boogie boards great fun... but if i knew sharks were about tho,
i would have stayed on the beach .. :t:

enjoy your holiday .

regards,

Thanks to all for the info.
Went to try Porthcurno/Minack but too crowded with tourists!! so tried Sennen Cove - great views of 1/2 dozens sharks of varying sizes with quite a few in the bay itself.
Very much made up for the lack of seawatching conditions this week!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back