• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this then? (1 Viewer)

bristolbirder

I took this photo yesterday in my back garden. I assume it's a Cranefly but it's larger size and mottled wings confuse me.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• cranefly2.jpg
    cranefly2.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 227
Yes, I definitely think you're right Bristol: Crane fly, Order: Diptera, Family: Tipulidae. There are some 15,000 species in the world ! Wow! Looks much like Holorusia (genus name I think) which has wingspans up to four inches! Some have smokey wing patches too.

Last edited:
By the way, first time around I forgot to mention to those unacquainted with the Family, notice the vestigial (did I say it right?) hind wings, appearing like a small club or antenna shape behind each forewing.

Nah.

It's a rather sickly Lawson's Cypress Chamaecyparis lawsoniana of the semi-juvenile foliage cultivar 'Ellwoodii'. It has some sort of fungal disease, not sure what.

Michael

No fungus Michael. It's just been cut back rather hard exposing some of the brown foliage underneath. Wish I had cut the thing down years ago but it would be too much like hard work now. All I can do is cut it back once a year to keep it under control.

Hi Bristonbirder,

So it is suffering from an acute attack of garden shears ;)

There is some fungus on those dead shoots, but it could be saprophytic

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back