• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats on the hummingbird feeder (1 Viewer)

ryanibis

ryanibis
I recently had some bats visiting our hummer feeders. They're fascinating to watch, very agile.

I think they're lesser long-nosed bats but I'm not entirely sure. They are described as small bats; they seemed large to me but I haven't known that many bats. :)

Anyway, interesting photos of nectar-feeding bats in flight.

The gallery is at www.ryanibis.com/bats.htm

ryanibis said:
I recently had some bats visiting our hummer feeders. They're fascinating to watch, very agile.

I think they're lesser long-nosed bats but I'm not entirely sure. They are described as small bats; they seemed large to me but I haven't known that many bats. :)

Anyway, interesting photos of nectar-feeding bats in flight.

The gallery is at www.ryanibis.com/bats.htm

Brilliant photo's, amazing to see.

Mark

Excellent photos, as usual. I'm having the same problem here in Hereford. The bats are drinking everything up at night.

ryanibis said:

Cool! Whetstone is just north of Sierra Vista, isn't it? Do you get lots of bats? I bought a simple bat detector, and according to it, we have very few bats in our neighborhood. There's an area south of me that has a lot of mines for semi-precious gems, and I want to try the detector in that area.

Thanks all for the kind comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. Yes, Curtis, Whetstone is about 15 miles N of Sierra Vista, just E of the Whetstone mtns and S of Kartchner caverns. The bat visits are kinda sporadic, a couple nites in a row, then nothing. The nectar feeding bats, from what I've read, follow the blossoms and hence, the rain. I think we had 2 different species if you look at the pics, the other is the mexican brown bat or something along those lines. They have a greyer chest and darker head, they are mixed in a couple of the shots.

have fun!

Totally new here in Sierra Vista and this forum. My wife, kids and I heard Sierra Vista was a major hummingbird hub, so we got three feeders. We saw a bunch of hummingbirds; however, one morning all our feeders were drained. We were very perplexed and filled them again and waited. The following pictures were taken 2 days ago on the 16th of August. This was what we saw:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6

porkrind said:
Totally new here in Sierra Vista and this forum. My wife, kids and I heard Sierra Vista was a major hummingbird hub, so we got three feeders. We saw a bunch of hummingbirds; however, one morning all our feeders were drained. We were very perplexed and filled them again and waited. The following pictures were taken 2 days ago on the 16th of August. This was what we saw:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Those pictures are amazing !! Thankyou for sharing.

Bats at Hummingbird feeders

Attached is a photo of nectar feeding bats at our humming bird feeder taken in Douglas, AZ. I have several more but too large to post.

Attachments

• 3bats.jpg
    3bats.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 346
Wow, nice shot, plyce! Can't wait for my new flash to come in so I can try for some. I know they are here because the feeder is emptied every night. Probably won't get half as decent a shot as your's or Shawn's, but will have fun trying.

Isurus: Those are amazing photos! Such detail, absolutely stunning! I would love to be able to take such remarkable photos, fantastic. Thanx for sharing, and thanx all for the kind words.

ryanibis said:
Isurus: Those are amazing photos! Such detail, absolutely stunning! I would love to be able to take such remarkable photos, fantastic. Thanx for sharing, and thanx all for the kind words.

Yes Beth's photo skills are sensational. If you're in a similar location her website is an awesome resource - the roadrunner and owl at the birdbath photos http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2005/07/05/screech-owl-roadrunner/ for example are awesome.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back