• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good book recommendations (1 Viewer)

nightheron28

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinat
Hello aside from the wonderful bird painting instruction books, I was wondering if you nice folks could recommend any good watercolor painting instruction books that may have really helped you develop your talent?

Thanks.

I have a copy of "The Watercolorist's Essential Notebook" (There are at least of these -- I have the 'Landscapes' one) by Gordon MacKenzie. It has some really neat tricks for different watercolour effects.

I love the style of David Bellamy who has written a number of books ( but don't confuse with the naturalist of the same name). They can sometimes be found on Ebay and Amazon.

Watercolour techniques

Hi Nightheron - I can recommend you look at the work of John Sell Cotman and,of course, Eric A. Ennion - The Living Birds of Eric Ennion should inspire you!

timwootton said:
Hi Nightheron - I can recommend you look at the work of John Sell Cotman and,of course, Eric A. Ennion - The Living Birds of Eric Ennion should inspire you!

I have just found the latter on Amazon, secondhand for £7.45 plus p&p - looks like a bargain to me, so I've sent off for it.

Vectis Birder said:
I have just found the latter on Amazon, secondhand for £7.45 plus p&p - looks like a bargain to me, so I've sent off for it.

there is incredibly, a book called "Painting Birds in Watercolor" but i cant remember the author..........

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back