• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua Telescope case (1 Viewer)

POP

I realise this may be a silly question,but,having purchased a new Swarvoski scope and zoom lens,a Skua case came with the deal,and I have to say what a terrible bit of kit it is.Has anyone else had problems with the case? and have they any ideas on how to improve it.

John

Let me guess John.
Warehouse Express /Free case/Swarovski ATS combo?
Complete bag-o-sh**e.
I've removed the front end piece, eyepiece and focusing ring section from the bag and just use the main barrell and angle end piece.

I too have problems with the skua case. To say it is a bad fit is an understatement.Ialso look forward to reading any other remedies.That sounds like a good suggestion CJW. All the best JohnN.

JTHATCH555 & ALL OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES

I have to agree with cjw. my wife bought a sworvski 65 and then eventually (3 months ltr) the case arrived. what a load of crap!!!

we ended up dumping all but the front barrel section as she has a tendency to lose bits that are not attached (lens cap).

I sent an email to skua asking which DIB DOB designed this monstosity needless to say we never got a reply.

No actual suggestions what to do with it John but it will soon be bonfire night.

Is it a genuine Skua case?

Or a Skua type as the Genuine Skua whilst not perfect is as good as you can make it given the design of the scope.

Same problem with the Nikon also.

:)

Mine's a genuine skua case. As I said above, I only use to parts of it now - the main 'barrel' and the the bit that fits over the 'heel' - and whilst not perfect, it does afford a small amount of protection for the scope.

It would appear that everyone is in agreement over the case,a friend of mine purchased the scope from LCE and the case with it was excellent,miles better than the Skua case,the problem with taking parts of the case off,the bits discarded are the protectors of the lens.

John

Oh I see sorry. I don't worry about it - my gear's insured and I'd have to do something really daft to damage the lens housings.

yes my is insured but i would not like to knock it about when there are four of us out birding,a tendency just to throw everything into the car boot !!
John

Skua

I've got a Leica 77 with a Skua case

I find it awkward to use when digisscoping. Its the drawstring cover which causes the prob. as it doesn't recess sufficiently.

So not a disaster, but fiddly and irritating, and not really good value for money, although Leica cases are even more expensive.

Martin

A case may prevent a bit of external chipping and scratching but an enormous amount of padding is going to be needed before a telescope will stand throwing into the boot. I keep my Swarovski in a simple padded case but it is taken out of it when mounted on its tripod. With its lens caps it is sufficiently waterproof for the odd shower of rain. However, I think we've had this carry-case versus fitted cover discussion before.

Does anyone find that if you carry your scope around on the tripod, it slips around on the fitting plate that screws in the telescope foot?

If so, has anyone solved this prob. without welding the plate to the scope !!!!!!

Martin

Martin on the S/voski the fitting on the scope is a fixed fitting. Incidentally if the case scenario has been on before,then maybe some one could give advise on the original question which started this all off.

John

I'm with Redwing on this one - I always carry the scope on the tripod (just bought an Optech strap from Warehouse Express) and nowadays often with the camera attached. I get a little bit of mountplate/scope rotation, but not enough to cause me any problems (probably less than 15° off centre). I tend to just twist it back into place.

paulsnokia said:
How many carry the scope on the tripod just out of interest ??

Me too. But I always take it off before putting them in a car boot.

martinow said:
Does anyone find that if you carry your scope around on the tripod, it slips around on the fitting plate that screws in the telescope foot?

If so, has anyone solved this prob. without welding the plate to the scope !!!!!!

By tightening the nut very tight! (I used a screwdriver to lever it extra tight)

Michael

PS are skua cases called jaeger cases in the US?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back