• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dragonfly behavior (1 Viewer)

dizzybird

Where and what are adult dragonflies doing when it is cloudy? They seem to virtually disappear from a pond that is very active when it is hot and sunny.

I think they just sort of 'sit it out' in amongst the vegetation.

Being small, when they're not moving they're so hard to spot.

I know I've disturbed them by walking through the grasses at the local reserve and they soon fly off, so they're definitely there.

And here's an interesting fact from the N. American Dunkle field guide: some darners alter coloration using dark granules that migrate toward the body and eye surfaces in cooler temperatures and at night, thus aiding them in hiding, and with faster absorption of the sun's heat. Reversing this of course helps them stay cool in direct sun.

I believe that many dragonflies and damselflies avoid water when they are not actually mating and egg-laying. They are 'solar powered' in the sense that they are far more active when it is sunny but only a few days ago I saw a large dragonfly actively hunting in a woodland clearing quite early in the morning. (and there is a crepuscular species in the Mediterranean area).
Odos don't seem to like wind much either... staying low in the vegetation (which I think is probably true of butterflies too?)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back