• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB discount? (1 Viewer)

MacGee

My wife is buying me a pair of binoculars for my birthday in November. She's also looking to become a volunteer for the RSPB, having recently acquired more free time. Since I recall reading that RSPB volunteers qualify for a discount on binoculars, I thought these two things might come together to our advantage. Does anyone know how much the discount is (or if there really is one)?

Michael.

It's basically cost price plus vat.There's not much in the discount with the likes of Leica etc,but it's significant with rspb/viking makes.It's 20% for other goods.Think i'm right in saying that.
Tom.

tom24 said:
It's basically cost price plus vat.There's not much in the discount with the likes of Leica etc,but it's significant with rspb/viking makes.
Tom.
Thanks, Tom. That sounds good. It's the BG.PC 8x32 I'm interested in. I had been thinking of the Zeiss Conquest, but then I noticed that the RSPB pair had better field of view, close focus and eye relief. As long as the optical performance is okay, they should do me.

Go for the RSPB optics - i get on fine with them and I got them really cheap with my discount!! I think you have to be a volunteer for a certain amount of time befor you qualify for a discount card but when you have it - it sure comes in handy. As tom said it is cost price plus VAT on optics (can only use this once per financial year) and 20% off other goods.

The higher priced optics are very nice but I've been told that Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss optics are going up - some binoculars to more that £1000!!!!

PaulK said:
I think you have to be a volunteer for a certain amount of time befor you qualify for a discount card but when you have it - it sure comes in handy.
Probably not going to work for this birthday then.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back