• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well..look at what crawled out of my creek (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
Soooo cool. Closer examination shows he/she is missing part of the front of its left foot.

65469310.vfGStTYT.081806SnappingTurtle1a.jpg

Hi KC

Do you know what it is? Foot seems to have healed though.

D

Reminds me of the snapping turtle that mysteriously appeared on my lawn once.

And we're at least half a kilometer away from the river.

Believe me, I was verrry careful when I picked it up and put it back into the creek. (Thank goodness for their short necks) It measured 21" long from head to tip of tail and was a bit on the heavy side.

I'm just glad I saw it before the pooch did.

KCFoggin said:
Believe me, I was verrry careful when I picked it up and put it back into the creek. (Thank goodness for their short necks) It measured 21" long from head to tip of tail and was a bit on the heavy side.

I'm just glad I saw it before the pooch did.

may it have been getting out to lay eggs? if you find a big mound of disturbed earth one day that might be it?
I read once about an aligator snapper escaping a zoo in australia in a flood and it was recaptured in a sewer 20-odd years later - they thought it may have been eating rats and feral cats :eek!:

http://forum.kingsnake.com/asia/messages/922.html

Isurus said:
may it have been getting out to lay eggs? if you find a big mound of disturbed earth one day that might be it?
I thought about that as they don't normally come out on land and it is still the egg laying season for them down here. Actually til November. No mounds on first look but I will investigate further tomorrow.

After thought. The creek is about 5 feet down and rather shallow right now. Would they lay their eggs along the banks of the creek?

There used to be a snapping turtle who regularly crawled up a hill to lay her eggs in my backyard (from a pond below) the first week of May every spring. This is in mid-northwest Indiana. Inevitably, the raccoons found those eggs everytime and ate them up. But she came back every May for at least five years in a row.....haven't seen her for about three years now. I kept my distance.....but she was fascinating to watch.

Marianna

It reminds me of when I used to keep these brutes. I decided to try them in an outdoor pool one summer. A couple of days later there was a knock at the door and an old woman was standing there holding my 'cute tortoise'. I am surprised that she did not lose a body part? Thing is that it must have climbed over a 6 foot fence to get out onto the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back