• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bbwf (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Hi all
I'm enquiring as to anyone knows about optics prices at the Birdwatching Fair. I'm still in the hunt for a new scope and I don't know whether it is worth buying now or waiting till the bird fair. My only worry is that I'll get to the fair and the prices will have miraculously increased by 20% due to the occasion. Also do the company's present do part exchange at the fair?

I am sure that there will be special prices at the BBWF. In the past you have seen "show offers" There are 2 companies listed as the retail operators at the Fair, In Focus & Viking Optical.
You also see other retailers offering special prices at the same time as the BBWF, even though they are not present at Rutland.

Last edited:
Chris,
In the past I have taken the opportunity at the bird fair to try out lots of models which are usually grouped 'side by side' in the optics tent and then once I have decided on the exact model that suits my eyes and my pocket having done some homework prior to going to the fair, I then go and look for the cheapest listed. In doing the latter, beware of grey imports.

Chris I've only ever been once a few years ago, and if its the still the same then theres only one company selling optics and that is In Focus.There prices are not the cheapest but if you go Knowing who is the cheapest then they may match prices a lot of optical retailer do. Try Ace optics in Bath their prices are generally good.

There are many optical companies represented in the optics marquee, but I think because In Focus are one of the main sponsors of the event, all payments for optics go through them. At least that's the impression I got a couple of years ago when I bought some compact binoculars. The chap from Vickers had to go and see the In Focus people to get an approval to take my old pair for part-ex, and then the receipt given to me had In Focus on it.

I'm not sure if this is the same for the others. Maybe it's because Vickers is a wholesale importer rather than a retailer. Not too sure.

However, see the official Bird Fair website for details of who is exhibiting. You can view the list alphabetically or by category.

http://www.birdfair.org.uk

This year is diferent. Not only is there In Focus, but Viking Optical as well. Some manufacturers will be selling through In Focus, and others through Viking Optical. Some will sell directly of their stand.

But why not take the chance to compare the various products, and then decide whether or not you want to purchase at the show, or from your normal retailer.

Wouldn't it be wondeful to see stands from all the different retailers... A.C.E, L.C.E, Kay, and the others. Maybe in the future? Anyway, it'll be great if you want to buy Delta, Opticron, Nikon or Viking optics at this year's BBWF :)

A good idea is to do some hard bargaining by bouncing prices off each supplier until it gets no lower. That is what I do.

Yes, madness that one retailer with such a limited range and suspect sales technique should be the only optical retailer at the birdfair.
So they pay plenty of sponsorship money! it is still a worrying state of affairs.

SM

If sales are controlled by just one or two retailers, I for one, won't buy on principle there - unless they offer stunning show discounts. It is a good opportuinity to compare side by side scopes etc and then buy later form retailers unafraid of competition.

To all,

Like most of you compare and contrast at the show and. unless you notice any obvious discounted bargains, return home and search the net for the cheapest seller of the model you liked at the Birdfair. Warehouse Express and Ace Optics seem to have pretty good choices at reasonable prices.

Take the latest birding magazine with you and use it to try and get the in-focus people to price match. Although I hope you have better luck than I did at Slimbridge when they made no attempt to match other peoples price, (told me they paid 10% on all sales to the WWT and implied that I was morally bound to buy from them!) so I bought my Nikon 8x32 HG's at Focus optics who did!

In Focus at Barnes also refused to price match when asked. So I bought elsewhere. I'm not paying £60 more thankyou.

Price Matching & the BirdFair

Seems like we are all agreed then :eat:

Look at the BirdFair, Then buy closer to home o:)

All the good retailrs will price match & take your old kit. :t:

I like to buy close to home if I can & I always get a good deal.:t:

Don't be put of by a retailer who wont show you a Leica or one of the other leading brands. 3:)

BTW I only spend time in a shop if im serious about buying something.

But then it nice to browse from time to time3:)

I nearly bought a Tilley Hat !! & I don't do Hats Whats that all about ;)

Re: Price Matching & the BirdFair

Blade said:
Seems like we are all agreed then :eat:

Look at the BirdFair, Then buy closer to home o:)

All the good retailrs will price match & take your old kit. :t:

I like to buy close to home if I can & I always get a good deal.:t:

Don't be put of by a retailer who wont show you a Leica or one of the other leading brands. 3:)

BTW I only spend time in a shop if im serious about buying something.

But then it nice to browse from time to time3:)

I nearly bought a Tilley Hat !! & I don't do Hats Whats that all about ;)

You've found the smilie page then :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back