• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile blackbird (1 Viewer)

helenol

For the last 4 or 5 days I have noticed one of the blackbird juveniles in the garden just seems to hop around. Today I saw that one of his legs seems not quite right. He stands on one leg, only occasionally hopping on both. The rear part of his "foot" (the back claw)seems to arch upwards. When he attempts to spread his wings, it looks as though he is "off balance". His wings seem ok.

So far, he has evaded cats and the sparrowhawk, tending to stay under the bushes. He is eating and drinking well, although he is very quiet.

It always saddens me when I see things like this, but I realise nature must take its course.

What are the chances of this little one surviving, knowing in reality there is not a lot I can do for it, and that he will probably end up as dinner for the red kite?

Is it possible he is just a little slower in learning to fly given that he's doesn't seem quite balanced with his dicky leg?

Regards
Helen

Helen I wouldn't worry about it too much, birds with minor dissabilities like this can survive quite well, I used to have a one legged Robin which frequented my garden for a long time. It's usually only when they have severe injuries for example to their bills which prevent them from eating or to their wings preventing them from flying.

helen
the chances of this juvenile surviving should be beter than we
think, I have had a collared dove with a very badley deformed
leg and he has managed to evade the local sparrowhawk, and
a couple of winters and is still doing well.
bert

Thanks to you both. Just as a note, after posting this msge, I went to check up on him, as I walked closer, he managed to fly into a tree where he stayed for a few hours. After that he was on the lawn, and I could see then that when he flapped his wings he couldn't keep his balance!
Not long after I noticed he'd flown onto the fence, where he proceeded to hobble along it, then after a dodgy start managed to fly off into garden couple of doors away.
Hopefully then, he'll make it, I'll just have to make sure the cats don't get to him, being that he's slow to leave the ground!

Cheers
Regards
H

PS - Bert; does the "cat" imply a liking or disliking of them? :)

Just a quick update on the juv. Since posting original msges, the bird seemed to decline, staying very still and quiet. I kept placing some mealworms next to him to give him a chance to eat before the others scoffed the lot. I also placed a couple of dishes of water in the bushes around the area he was sitting.
I think he had injured his claw, possibly by catching it on a branch?
Anyway this morning he appeared, he seemed a lot more perky and he's managed to fly into the trees etc. He's also placing his foot more and more onto the ground now, (although he still loses his balance now and again), so hopefully he's recovering. It's been a w/end of looking out for the cat and chasing her away each time she's even dared to venture in the vicinity where he was!

Regards
Helen

Hi Helen.
I would stick my neck out and say that this blackbird
will survive.It seems to me that the bird has injuired it's claw,has
you say in some way,this claw in time will fall off just like a humans nail when it gets badly cut.This story brings back those
times when i use to see feral pigeons with clubbed feet & missing
toes.They use to struggle,but after a few weeks you would see
them again copeing quite well.So hopefully this blackbird will
manage quite well if he avoides the local predatores.
Regards
Jeff Taylor.

hi Jeff

Yes, I think he has a pretty good chance now, still a little quiet preferring I guess to "rest" his foot, but definately flying more and able to hop a little more on both feet now

Cheers
Helen

helen
news of blackbird good, I bet he likes the mealworms!! if you
help him like this for a few more weeks food and water will
do him a power of good. Just to get there before the others get
the lions share, please keep us up to date if you can. all the best
bert

Hi Helen

Any news on your blackbird? Loved your story and as a massive blackbird fan I hope he is doing well! Have had my birdtable for a short time and Mr Blackbird is already in charge and will get quite irate if I forget to leave out the raisins that he has taken a particular fancy to!
All the best
Scott

Hi Scott

Well, with some trepidation I left for Belgium last Thursday morning. I put loads of mealworms on the lawn and under the bushes etc and placed a couple of dishes of water at various points. Fortunately the blackbird was loads better before I left. Also, I even got a neighbour to come in once a day and put out a few mealworms and raisons! How's that for dedication..... :)
Arrived back Monday night, and this morning, I caught the first definite sighting of him. He was scoffing the raisons, and just for a second or two he would lift his leg off the ground, but the big difference was that his tail was "cocked" and he seemed a lot happier.

today though has been very quiet on the blackbird front, still a few of the juveniles coming in and a few of the adults, so I'm guessing with the wet weather etc there is now plenty of natural food around at the moment. I'm still keeping a lookout for him.

Regards
Helen

well dont we know the annual moult is on, feathers all over,
and at the moment a very pi---d of looking couple of blackbirds
one with no tail feathers, and the other with very little head and
wing feathers. they will not even come to within inches of my
hand as normal for their sultanas, and the song thrush isent
much better. blue tits seem to be coming back to feed, as do
great&coal tit. still things can only get better!!
bert.

helen
hope you had a good trip, good to hear your blackbird is doing well as you say that cocked tail is agreat sign plus he is eating
well good luck.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back