• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France (1 Viewer)

Merlin

Hi
Off to Nord pas Calais and Picardie on Saturday for a week , any birders have recent information on this area?

regards Merlin

Hi Merlin!
I often visit that region: was there in Spring (so not that recent, really! LOL!)
But this isn't the greatest time to go: kind of in-between.
However (assuming you don't already know all this!) there are some good spots:
Marais de Guines (Bluethroats, Warblers etc)
Clairmarais Forest (Woodpeckers, raptors, warblers etc)
Cap Blanc/Gris Nez (Great for migration and seawatching)
Crecy Forest (Warblers / raptors / woodpeckers)
Marquenterre (White Storks / Egrets / Spoonbills / Black Woodie / migrants)
Not desperately up to date, but worth looking at:
http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/france_nord_pas_de_calais.html
Have a great time! And Auchun at Boulogne St Martin is best for duty-free wine! LOL! And don't forget Calais Docks for Crested Larks!

Tranquility Base said:

Went to St Valery/Somme area this time last year. Marquenterre, just north of the Somme, out on the estuary, is good, and at this time of year, you might get lucky with migrants/waders. There is an entry fee.

There is another reserve, south of the estuary called Hable d'Ault, not easy to find, vast, but you can drive right through it, with lots of pools just behind the sea wall. I'll give you directions if you think you might go.

florall said:
Went to St Valery/Somme area this time last year. Marquenterre, just north of the Somme, out on the estuary, is good, and at this time of year, you might get lucky with migrants/waders. There is an entry fee.

There is another reserve, south of the estuary called Hable d'Ault, not easy to find, vast, but you can drive right through it, with lots of pools just behind the sea wall. I'll give you directions if you think you might go.

Yes Marquenterre it's a very good area for shoot migrants/waders

Many thanks

Many thanks
The trouble is that like so many I want to go everywhere in the spring. I done well this year with a few trips to Europe and went to Kenya July/August so this coming trip is one that just sneaked in.
regards to you and all our friends in Norfolk

Merlin

Tranquility Base said:
Hi Merlin!

I often visit that region: was there in Spring (so not that recent, really! LOL!)
But this isn't the greatest time to go: kind of in-between.
However (assuming you don't already know all this!) there are some good spots:
Marais de Guines (Bluethroats, Warblers etc)
Clairmarais Forest (Woodpeckers, raptors, warblers etc)
Cap Blanc/Gris Nez (Great for migration and seawatching)
Crecy Forest (Warblers / raptors / woodpeckers)
Not desperately up to date, but worth looking at:
http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/france_nord_pas_de_calais.html
Have a great time! And Auchun at Boulogne St Martin is best for duty-free wine! LOL! And don't forget Calais Docks for Crested Larks!

Thank you

Thank you Florall

I have located Hable d'Ault, I understand it is a prime spot to be shot by a a French hunter??
best regards
Merlin

florall said:

Thank you MC Orosquette

I think that most of Nord-pas-Calais and Picardie coast seems to be good for shooting??

regards

Merlin
MC OROSQUETTE said:
Yes Marquenterre it's a very good area for shoot migrants/waders

scfmerlin said:
Thank you Florall

I have located Hable d'Ault, I understand it is a prime spot to be shot by a a French hunter??

the first part is certainly a hunting reserve, but then I think a lot in the area are (not Marquenterre). You have to be careful of the flocks of ducks, becuase most of them are decoys. However, the main reserve out behind the sea wall is not hunting.

In all the times we went there (several) we only ever saw about two other people, and they were both hunters.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back