• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raiii? (1 Viewer)

SimonK

Hi all,
I'm starting to look into purchasing a scope early next year, and I had a shufty at lots at Birdfair. Now, I really liked the Leica APO 62, which was fab, but I was also really impressed with the new RAIII (it might have been the 85mm that was on test, cant remember), and checking out the price on Nikons press release I was amazed! Anyone also check this scope out and if so what were your impressions? I was originally looking at the travelscope, but I found the DOF too small for my eyes (always fiddling with the focus wheel).

-Si

Last edited:
SimonK said:
Hi all,
I'm starting to look into purchasing a scope early next year, and I had a shufty at lots at Birdfair. Now, I really liked the Leica APO 62, which was fab, but I was also really impressed with the new RAIII (it might have been the 85mm that was on test, cant remember), and checking out the price on Nikons press release I was amazed! Anyone also check this scope out and if so what were your impressions? I was originally looking at the travelscope, but I found the DOF too small for my eyes (always fiddling with the focus wheel).

-Si
The Leica 62 is a gorgeous piece of kit, for sure. If your liking is for a wide angle view and a zoom, have a try with the Zeiss scopes - they offer a much wider fov than any other.

I have the Nikon ED50 and, with a wide angle eyepiece, it's a treat of a scope, weighing so little and such a quality view.

scampo said:
The Leica 62 is a gorgeous piece of kit, for sure. If your liking is for a wide angle view and a zoom, have a try with the Zeiss scopes - they offer a much wider fov than any other.

I have the Nikon ED50 and, with a wide angle eyepiece, it's a treat of a scope, weighing so little and such a quality view.

Hey scampo,

I tried out the Zeiss diascope at Birdfair and I just didnt seem to get on with the focusing unfortunately. I agree the ED50 looked real nice, but (maybe it was me) I seemed to have some trouble getting a fine focus with it. I'll give the ED50 another go when I see one. The scopes that I seemed to get on with straight away were the RAIII, Leica 62 and Swaro 65. I thought the Minox was a good scope for the price too. It's the choice between saving up for a several months and get a high end scope, or buy a medum priced one earlier and relieve my poor eyes trying to squint at waders through my bins. ;)
Choices choices!

-Si

SimonK said:
Hey scampo,

I tried out the Zeiss diascope at Birdfair and I just didnt seem to get on with the focusing unfortunately. I agree the ED50 looked real nice, but (maybe it was me) I seemed to have some trouble getting a fine focus with it. I'll give the ED50 another go when I see one. The scopes that I seemed to get on with straight away were the RAIII, Leica 62 and Swaro 65. I thought the Minox was a good scope for the price too. It's the choice between saving up for a several months and get a high end scope, or buy a medum priced one earlier and relieve my poor eyes trying to squint at waders through my bins. ;)
Choices choices!

-Si
I'd save up - then you'll never have the nagging feeling that you still want a top make! Unless you're a lucky soul who hasn't a shred of envy or materialism about him, that's what seems to happen!

Regarding focussing, having been lucky to have the opportunity to use Kowa, Swaro, Nikon and Zeiss over a few years, I can honestly say that within a very short time I become completely accustomed to whatever I am using.

With my Zeiss 85, I only ever use the fine focus control which is silky smooth. The Nikon ED50 is a little less fine in its control, and takes a bit of adjusting to after using the Zeiss but then, before I know it, it's as natural as the day. I think, in the end, it's aspects of the optics and overall view that will make or break your decision. On that score, with a fixed wide angle, the Leica and Nikon Fieldscopes are as good as they come; the Nikon offers exceptionally natural contrast and colours indeed to my eye. With a zoom, as I say, I prefer the uniquely wide-angled Zeiss Vario eyepiece.

Last edited:
scampo said:
I'd save up - then you'll never have the nagging feeling that you still want a top make! Unless you're a lucky soul who hasn't a shred of envy or materialism about him, that's what seems to happen!

Regarding focussing, having been lucky to have the opportunity to use Kowa, Swaro, Nikon and Zeiss over a few years, I can honestly say that within a very short time I become completely accustomed to whatever I am using.

With my Zeiss 85, I only ever use the fine focus control which is silky smooth. The Nikon ED50 is a little less fine in its control, and takes a bit of adjusting to after using the Zeiss but then, before I know it, it's as natural as the day. I think, in the end, it's aspects of the optics and overall view that will make or break your decision. On that score, with a fixed wide angle, the Leica and Nikon Fieldscopes are as good as they come; the Nikon offers exceptionally natural contrast and colours indeed to my eye. With a zoom, as I say, I prefer the uniquely wide-angled Zeiss Vario eyepiece.

You know.. I think I'll start saving.. then go play "try the scope" again.
:t:

SimonK said:
Hey scampo,

Choices choices!

-Si

Looking at the Nikon website, one would think that the RAIII line will not be Nikon's top line. They say the RAIII is building on the RAII. At any rate, their focus is more the Kowa type, it seems. No barrel focus. But there may be a dual system as with Leica and Zeiss? Though the pictures show those two knobs rather far apart. Will be interesting to see what we'll really get.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back