• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SWIFT AUDUBON HHS - Field of view (1 Viewer)

David C

I am thinking of investing in a pair of Swift Audubon HHS roof's however as already noted in this forum the stated field of view of (i think) 102 seems rather narrow,can anyone tell me if they own a pair and comment on how the field of view affects the performance,many thanks !

David C said:
I am thinking of investing in a pair of Swift Audubon HHS roof's however as already noted in this forum the stated field of view of (i think) 102 seems rather narrow,can anyone tell me if they own a pair and comment on how the field of view affects the performance,many thanks !

The correct figures are:
112m @ 1000m = 336ft @ 1000yds = 6.4 degrees
This gives an Apparent Field Of View (AFOV) of 54.5 degrees

There are several sources on the web that give an incorrect figure of 102m. It looks like someone made a mistake and changed 112 to 102 and then this just got repeated.

Hope that helps.

I confirm that FOV is 112m@1000m. I must say it could be larger but 112m isn't too small and isn't disturbing during observations. I'm just fond of big FOV and I own two other binoculars with FOV 144 and 149m.

Nevertheless Swift 828 are great binoculars at their price range. Little bigger FOV (let's say: 120m) and better light transmission (in comparison to Swarovski or Zeiss they are little dim) and they could match with top binoculars.

solentbirder said:
The correct figures are:
112m @ 1000m = 336ft @ 1000yds = 6.4 degrees
This gives an Apparent Field Of View (AFOV) of 54.5 degrees

There are several sources on the web that give an incorrect figure of 102m. It looks like someone made a mistake and changed 112 to 102 and then this just got repeated.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that information,112m at 1000m is a bit better ! it might be enough to tempt me,

cheers

David C

kmiernik said:
I confirm that FOV is 112m@1000m. I must say it could be larger but 112m isn't too small and isn't disturbing during observations. I'm just fond of big FOV and I own two other binoculars with FOV 144 and 149m.

Nevertheless Swift 828 are great binoculars at their price range. Little bigger FOV (let's say: 120m) and better light transmission (in comparison to Swarovski or Zeiss they are little dim) and they could match with top binoculars.

Yes ive seen them advertised as low as £209.00 so they appear to be great value,problem is ive been accustomed to the fantastic FOV of my old Audubon HR/5 Porro's ! thanks for the info,

cheers

David C

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back